[Newleaf] Next week: Stand up against fracking and greenwashing in the Valley

Martha Pskowski marthanelle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:06:08 EST 2012

Hi folks,

There is a group of UMass students and friends who are organizing to call
out the American Groundwater Trust conference taking place at UMass next
week, which we see as the first step in developing fracking here, since the
release of a USGS report this summer proving natural gas reserves exist
below the Connecticut River Valley.

We got a great reception from the 100+ people at a meeting in Northampton
tonight on fracking.

*We're asking you to join us and help stop the gas industry in its tracks.*

*WEDNESDAY'S MEETING* is to educate ourselves on fracking, to be prepared
to talk to people on campus Thursday and challenge the conference agenda.
We will train ourselves to competently explain our opposition to fracking,
and the nature of the AGWT conference. Please come and bring friends to
make this effort strong, visible, and effective.
Attend. <https://www.facebook.com/events/305262896239858/>
*5:30-6:30pm Gordon Hall Room 302 (conference room) at UMass, Amherst*

DURING THE CONFERENCE *THURSDAY* students and supporters will be educating
people on campus about fracking throughout the day, and will gather inside
the Campus Center to show what a community-based, transparent process looks
like at 1pm.
Attend. <https://www.facebook.com/events/473791522664454/>
*Education: Campus Center UMass Amherst all day.
Action: Basement of Campus Center, 1pm. *

MORE ON AGWT:
This group is an example of greenwashing-- making their work sound
environmentally friendly, while doing the opposite. The conference costs
$100 to attend and falls during exams- certainly not meant to encourage
student and community participation. Their website states: "The AGWT is in
favor of developing energy resources provided water resources are not
jeopardized." Yet their Board includes a Halliburton executive and
conference presenters include Cabot Oil & Gas, some of the worst frackers
in W. Pennsylvania.

This conference is NOT an opportunity for dialog or debate on fracking; it
is a strategy for industry elite to pave the way for fracking in
Massachusetts.
Conference info. <http://www.agwt.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=38>

*We can use help with media, materials and outreach around the area so
please email me if you can help before Wednesday!

*Cheers,
Martha Pskowski