[Newleaf] Notes from sustainability meeting with josiah

jmo11 at hampshire.edu jmo11 at hampshire.edu
Tue May 17 14:43:14 EDT 2011

Hi all, here are the meeting notes from last friday. It's more of a compilation
of our mini-goals for the semester.

Jessa

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you who came to the meeting on Friday to discuss
incorporating issues of sustainability with orientation. Below are the key
initiatives we decided to move forward on, as well as who said they would work
on it.

1. (Marleigh) Farm to Dining Commons informational lunch with Chef John, DC
staff, Nancy Hanson, and others (during orientation).
2. (Josiah) Incorporating the Environmental Committee into orientation welcome
ceremony to introduce themselves briefly.
3. (Marleigh) Video of "Farm to Dining Commons" information, to be sent out to
new students this summer.
4. (Marleigh--tentative project) Video of good "green" dorm room vs. non-eco
friendly dorm room.
5. (Josiah) Put a link to the Green Hampshire webpage on the flash drive all new
students get.
6. (Andrew) Write information about Mixed Nuts program to include in the new
student newsletter this summer.
7. (Pam) Work to get Green Hampshire webpage updated in June, so we can send a
link to incoming students and families.
8. (Pam) Begin conversations with the school store about selling green products
under the vendor tent on opening day. If they can't, start working on vendors
to come in to do it.
9. (Jessa) Explore buying water bottles again for incoming students. If not
feasible, order stickers for them to put on their own bottles. Need an answer
by June.
10. (Jessa) Find a few volunteers to help work by the compost stations at
opening day lunch/dinner to show people what can be composted.
11. (Josiah) Talk to admissions about "green-ifying" the campus tour room.
12. (Josiah) Put a new "what to bring/not to bring" list on the website using
Rebecca's draft, and including info about vendors where students can buy green
products.

So these are the initiatives we are going to work on for this year. Please keep
me updated about your individual efforts and we will move forward from there.
Once we see how all this goes, we can talk about doing other projects in the
future.

Thanks again!
Josiah
Josiah S. Litant