[Newleaf] Orientation nation!

jmo11 at hampshire.edu jmo11 at hampshire.edu
Sat May 14 09:31:34 EDT 2011

Hey all,

The meeting with Josiah and everyone went well on Friday. We talked about a few
different initiatives we can take for orientation next year and how they fit
into long term goals of making Hampshire a more sustainable college. From New
Leaf, he needs to know by the end of June (at the absolute latest)

1.) H2O Bottles
-If we want to hand out metal water bottles again at orientation, we'll have to
find the funding ourselves.He's definitely not opposed to them, but he just
can't afford to fund them this late in the year.

If we don't want to do the water bottles this year, there is another option. Pam
Tinto said she had some stickers that we could hand out to people that says
something along the lines of "I refill this bottle" that kids can stick on
their own water bottles (or mason jars, or juice bottles they reuse, etc.).
This would be much cheaper, and maybe more sustainable in the long run? E-mails
could be sent out to incoming students to make sure they bring a water bottle of
their own to orientation.

Whatever we decide, we have to do it soon. If anyone has any research on water
bottles and prices maybe they could put it on the mailing list and somehow we
can come to a group decision on the matter? Once we have a decision I'll e-mail
Josiah and let him know.

For now, that's what Josiah said he wanted New Leaf to focus on. When he sends
me the full meeting notes I'll copy and paste them onto the digest so y'all can
stay updated! (I would have taken some...but my life, including pens and paper,
was packed away in boxes!)

Have a good start to the summer! Get outside and enjoy the sunshine.
-Jessa