[Newleaf] [5 College Primitive Skills] moving ahead with the sustainability pledge

jake brooks jvb07 at hampshire.edu
Wed Jul 6 20:05:02 EDT 2011

i got these emails forwarded to me from the 5-college primitive skills list,
so i figured i'd chime in (although i just graduated hampshire, yay!). If
you make a pledge or checklist, i think you should definitely include "adopt
a vegan diet" on it. Buying and eating meat is an often overlooked
(sometimes on purpose!) habit which is really bad for the environment in a
lot of ways. there are lots of websites to learn about the environmental
impact of meat, so I won't go into detail about it. just think, though, each
pound of feedlot beef requires ~24,000 gallons of water to process. And in
terms of fossil fuel, if you're cooking (most) meat you might as well be
double-parking a hummer outside while you're cooking it. just my 2 cents.
best,
jake