[NERDug-list] "Other Cohorts" field in STAL (Colleague)

Jensen, Chris JensenC at mail.amc.edu
Wed May 21 13:22:03 EDT 2014

Ethan,
We use institutional cohorts extensively in reporting and validation for various processes. The actual cohort code values are maintained on the VAL table INSTITUTIONAL.COHORTS, and can be assigned in batch using CHGA. We primarily use the cohort to separate our medical students into years, as many of our courses and offerings apply only to specific years, so we use the current cohort value in computed columns with registration rules, as well as matching the cohort year to academic term codes to help determine academic years. Other uses might include campus group membership (assuming you don't have Campus Organizations), billing rules, graduation groupings, anything where Colleague doesn't already provide a structure, or doesn't give enough granularity or hierarchy. The ability to assign multiple cohorts to the same student is also useful in many cases, as they may participate in multiple groupings, and can then be sliced and diced in various ways in your reporting solution.

Chris

Chris Jensen | Systems Analyst - Academic Systems | Albany Medical Center | 0:  518.264.9345 | jensenc at mail.amc.edu