[Jewish] [Jewish Opportunities] Grant + NYC Yiddish Festival

Ryan Peter Rogers rpr14 at hampshire.edu
Sun Oct 30 15:22:37 EDT 2016

Hello JSU Friends!

I hope you're having a relaxing and productive Sunday. Below are two
exciting opportunities you might find interesting! Take a look:

ETHICS & THE COMMON GOOD STUDENT PROJECT GRANTS FALL 2016 DEADLINE IS
NOVEMBER 18TH AT NOON! Funding available for student projects that
advance the common good on and off campus, including Div II and Div III
projects. Collaborative projects are encouraged! Common Good Student
Project Grants have a funding limit of $500 per student per year.

We will be hosting an ECG Common Good Student Project Grant Info Session
on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 1ST AT 3:30 IN THE KIVA (3RD FLOOR OF THE
LIBRARY),Tika Lifton-Herman and Jamila Jackson will share their
experience applying for and receiving an ECG student project grant. Teal
VanDyck, ECG Program Coordinator, will answer questions and let you know
what to include in a successful proposal. For more information about how
to apply visit our website at
https://www.hampshire.edu/ecg/funding-opportunities

SPECIAL DISCOUNT FOR JEWISH STUDIES STUDENTS TO ATTEND YIDDISH NEW YORK
(DECEMBER 24-26, 2016)

Hello,

My name is Sophie Adelman and I am reaching out to Jewish Studies
Departments on behalf of Yiddish New York, the nation's largest festival
of Yiddish music, arts and culture. After a successful first year, we
are proud to announce this year's program (December 24-29, 2016, in New
York City), which is designed to provide an immersive experience in the
culture. We offer programs led by over 60 leading scholars and
performers covering a diverse range of Yiddish arts as well as Yiddish
folklore, history and language. Speakers include New York Times
bestselling author Michael Wex (Born to Kvetch), Itzik Gottesman
(University of Texas, Austin), Ken Frieden (Syracuse), Miriam Isaacs
(Maryland), poet Irena Klepfisz, and Kolya Borodulin (the Workmen's
Circle). Included in this year's program is wide variety of multimedia
showcases, including theater, visual art, film series, and other active
cultural events. Our musicians this year are some of Yiddish music's
greats, including Grammy-winning trumpeter Frank London (The
Klezmatics), clarinetist Michael Winograd, Yiddish singers Daniel Kahn,
Josh Waletzky and Joanne Borts and violinist Deborah Strauss, who, in
addition to providing instrument instruction, will perform throughout
the week.

I would like to cordially extend an invitation to students involved in
your institution's Jewish Studies Department to attend Yiddish New York
on December 24-29, 2016. So that we can invite as many as possible, we
ask that you forward this communication to the Jewish Studies
department's website/events page in order for further exposure for
anyone interested investigating the traditions New York City's Yiddish
heritage, active culture and extensive history.

To encourage a large turnout this year, we will be offering special
pricing opportunities. For graduate and undergraduate students alike, we
will be offering a special price code. In order to utilize the offer,
please go to http://yny2016.brownpapertickets.com/ and enter the
discount code: "YNY$100". When purchasing tickets for our 6-day program
using this code, the purchaser is given "silver access" to all of
Yiddish New York's events (in the case of a sold out event, we will need
to prioritize access by gold access patrons who paid full-price for a
ticket).

If you wish to learn more about the specifics of the program we will
offer, you may wish to visit our website at www.yiddishnewyork.com to
about the full program, including ride/accommodation sharing, and
locations. Any questions or concerns can be directed towards me: you may
reach me on my cell phone is 917-326-9659 or e-mail
yiddishnewyork at gmail.com.

Sincerely,

Sophie Adelman

And don't forget to enjoy the 50-60 degrees weather this week before
Winter hits!
Lots of warm love,
the JSU