[Jewish] End-of-week Message

Ryan Peter Rogers rpr14 at hampshire.edu
Fri Oct 28 02:02:10 EDT 2016

Hello fellow JSU friends,

Happy Shabbat!

Even though the JSU is not celebrating Shabbat tonight due to Hampshire
Halloween, TORAH STUDY WILL STILL BE HAPPENING! See below for more
information:

4 PM: Friday: Merrill living room Torah Study Begins with the Creation
stories Come chew on the words of Torah and enter into the primal text
of the Jewish people. NO Hebrew necessary; atheists welcome! No prereqs!
It's a story! Drop-ins welcome!

Why bother re-reading the Torah every year?
To participate in a community founded in a shared story.
To understand better who we are, and why we behave the way we do.
To enter into relationship with a text, constantly revising our
understanding of it as we gain life experience.
To be humble enough to revisit questions we thought we already answered.
Because its fun to read stories together and hear how other students
think!
We belong to a people who think it worthwhile to revisit one book over
and over again, to engage in a shared story and let that story inform
our lives and challenge us.

And on this day in Jew-ish history:
Ben Harper was born October 28, 1969 in Pomona, California to his Jewish
mother and African-American father. He grew up to become a multi-genre
musician, winning three Grammy Awards and releasing thirteen albums. He
is also an activist of a number of movements, including social and
environmental.
"Music is freedom and being free is the closest I've ever felt to being
spiritual." --Ben Harper

Have a fun and safe Hampshire Halloween!
Much love,
the JSU