[Jewish] Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur Services

ajos02 at hampshire.edu ajos02 at hampshire.edu
Mon Sep 22 20:47:46 EDT 2003

Hello all,

Considering that the High Holidays are fast approaching, I thought I might put
out a little guide as to what services and meals are available in the area.
What I found out is included at the end of this e-mail.  Hampshire's JSU will
not be having Shabbat dinner on this coming Shabbat of Friday, September
26th.  We will again be having Shabbat dinner on Friday, September 3rd.

Come to the meeting with Rabbi Lisa Freitag-Keshet on Tuesday (that's
tommorrow) from 3:30 - 5:30 in the New Spiritual Life Center above the Merrell
House Office.  Perhaps those of us staying in the valley for the High Holidays
can organize ourselves so that we go to services together.

Shalom,

~~~Ari

Meals, Services, and Fun for the upcoming High Holidays

Mt. Holyoke Jewish Student Union:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/org/jsu/

Rosh Hashanah
Friday, September 26
Shabbat/Holiday Dinner @ 5:30pm in the Eliot House Lounge
Kosher meat meal with vegetarian options.
Please RSVP to Rabbi Lisa Freitag-Keshet at lfkeshet at mtholyoke.edu
Evening Services, 6:30 or 7:30pm (the webpage and invite card differ in info),
Abbey Interfaith Sanctuary

Saturday, September 27
Services @ 10:00am in the Abbey Interfaith Sanctuary.
Optional Tashlich to follow

Yom Kippur
Information is not yet listed on their website but they will be having Kol
Nidre and Yom Kippur Services on campus.  Check the website.

Smith/Amherst Hillel:
http://www.smith.edu/chapel/rhyk.htm

Rosh Hashanah at Smith College:
Erev Rosh Hashanah and Supper
September 26th – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Services held in Helen Hills Hills Chapel
Supper in Davis Ballroom

Rosh Hashanah Saturday Service
September 27th – 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Services held in Helen Hills Hills Chapel

Rosh Hashanah Sunday Service
September 28th – 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
Services in Helen Hills Hills Chapel

Rosh Hashanah Picnic
September 28th –1:30 pm to 3:30 pm
Lunch on Boathouse Lawn (Bodman Lounge rain location)

Yom Kippur at Amherst College
Kol Nidre
October 5th – 5:45pm to 7:45pm
Johnson Chapel

Yom Kippur Morning Service
October 6th –9:30am to 12:30pm
Johnson Chapel

Yom Kippur Afternoon Service
October 6th – 5:45pm to 7:45pm
Johnson Chapel

UMASS Hillel:
http://www.umasshillel.org/hh.html
EREV ROSH HASHANAH
Friday, September 26
Services are in the Student Union Ballroom (SUB), 7pm
Dinner, 8:30pm at Hillel House (sign up and prepay-- free for UMass students -
all others $9.50)

ROSH HASHANAH
Saturday, September 27
Morning Service, SUB, 10am
Alternative Musaf Service and Rosh Hashana Discussion, 12noon, Cape Cod
Lounge, Student Union
Lunch, 1pm, Hillel House -- (free for UMass students all others $7 - sign-up
or pre-pay))
Ma'ariv (Evening Service) at 7:15pm, Cape Cod Lounge, SU
Dinner, 8:30pm, Hillel House -- (Cost: $9.50 -- sign up and prepay at Hillel
House)

Sunday, September 28
Service, 10am, Cape Cod Lounge, SU
Tashlich at approx. 1pm at the Campus Pond
Lunch, 2pm, Hillel House -- (Cost: $7.00 -- sign up and prepay by 9/10)

YOM KIPPUR
Sunday, October 5
Kol Nidrei
Dinner, 5pm, Hillel House -- (Cost: $9.50 -- sign up and prepay to Hillel
House)
Services in the SUB, 7pm with Discussion following services

Monday, October 6
Morning Service, 10am, in the SUB
Book of Jonah, 3pm, SUB
Teshuvah Exercises, 4pm, SUB
Mincha & Neilah at 5:30pm, SUB
Break the Fast, 7:30pm, Hillel House --( Cost: $9.50 -- sign up and prepay to
Hillel House)

Note to those on the Meal Plan:  If you plan to go to any of the meals at
UMASS, you should get a meal exchange card from Roberta in Saga.  This way,
you do not need to pay for the meal twice.  I'm not sure how meals work at
Smith/Amherst and Mt. Holyoke but it could not hurt to err on the safe side.

UMASS Chabad House
http://www.umass.edu/chabad/content.html
30 North Hadley Road
Amherst, MA 01002
549-4094
I could not find listings of their services, nor could I find much in the way
of a website.  I would suggest calling or just showing up.

There are also a number of Synagogues in the area.  I have decided to just
give you contact info and links(when available) rather than make this e-mail
any longer.

Congregation B'nai Israel (Conservative)
253 Prospect Street • Northampton • MA • 01060 • (413) 584-3593
http://www.bnaiisraelnoho.org/

Congregation Rodphey Sholom (Orthodox)
1800 Northhampton Street (Rte.5)
Holyoke, MA  01040
Tel: (413) 534-5262

Congregation Sons of Zion (Conservative)
378 Maple Street, Holyoke MA 01040
413-534-3369

Jewish Community of Amherst (Reconstructionist)
742 Main Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413)-256-0160
http://www.j-c-a.org/