[Jewish] Egalitarian minyan

jjg99 at hampshire.edu jjg99 at hampshire.edu
Tue Sep 23 15:43:16 EDT 2003

Hello all,
One of the most significant aspects of Jewish prayer is the idea of community.
Sure enough, it has been our strong sense of family and community which has
bound our people together during our multi-millenia exile.  It is in this
spirit that I propose the idea of an egalitarian minyan three times a day.
Most importantly let me stress what I mean by "egalitarian".  Egalitarian does
NOT mean, men lead services and women sit in the back.  Egalitarianism hinges
on the full participations of all people, irrelavent of gender.  This means
women leading services AND men leading services.  Women singing hymns AND men
singing hymns.  Egalitarian could also mean welcoming in any non-Jews who may
want to participate or just watch.  We must all remember the Jewish custom not
to turn away the stranger from a minyan, as she may be Elijahu ha'Navi in
disguise, and by doing so you would be turning away the Moshiach.

I have a very open schedule these days, but those who are interested should get
together to further discuss the logistics of such a thing.

the easiest place to reach me would be here, at this e-mail:jjg99 at hampshire.edu

b'shalom
Justin