[Jewish] Join me in signing the Call to Bring the Settlers Home to Israel

ajos02 at hampshire.edu ajos02 at hampshire.edu
Thu May 29 14:55:39 EDT 2003

Dear JSU members,

I signed the Call to Bring the Settlers Home petition at
http://bringthemhome.btvshalom.org/ and I would like to take issue with Jesse's
response.  I feel Jesse's response was overly reactionary, and while I know
that his heart is in the right place, I feel that Jesse missed the point of the
e-mail and of the petition.

Jesse claims that "Forcibly expelling people from their homes simply on an
account of their religion is a crime against humanity and totally outlawed
under the nuremburg laws of 1946 and the 1949 Geneva code."  I completly
agree.  However, the e-mail and the petition make no suggestion at all about
using force to expel people.  Rather, the petition suggests an end to the
financial inducements given to people moving to the settlements and instead to
provide financial assistance to people willing to move from the settlements to
Israel proper.  Again, the petition does not mention force at all.
Essentially, the petition is advocating alternative allocations of finances.

Jesse wrote "Not to mention [forcible expulsion] is an outright racist ideology
which contends that Arabs have some kind of right to live where ever they want,
Gaza, Ramallah or Tel-Aviv while Jews are banned from living outside the green
line."  Again the petition is about inducing voluntary relocation and not about
forcible expulsion.  Moreover, the petition makes no reference to who has a
right to live where.

Jesse wrote "If I sent an e-mail around claiming that Palestinians living in
Israel or in a section to the West Bank were an obstacle to peace and shoud be
given financial incentive to move, I would be accused, rightly so, of being a
racist."  I doubt it.  I know I would not call you a racist for it.  Again, the
point is in the wording "given a financial incentive to move" rather
than "forcibly expelled."

Jesse ended with "Please, who ever is in charge of the jsu mailing lists,
remove my name so I no longer have to receive diatribes and jingoist rants from
Arab supremacists."  I am surprised and appalled that you would choose to end
your e-mail by slandering the Brit Tzedek V'Shalom organization as Arab
Supremacists.  They are an organization of American Jews striving for "Justice
and Peace."  Both the e-mail and the petition were well written and not
belligerent to anyone.  It's your choice to remove yourself from the JSU
mailing list, however I believe the only diatribes present on the list are
those of your own creation.

Sincerely,

Ari Shapiro

P.S.  I miss Shabbat with everyone from JSU.  Anyone want to come to my house
for dinner tommorrow?