[Jewish] Wiesenthal Center fights antisemitism at World Social Forum held in Brazil

rm02 at hampshire.edu rm02 at hampshire.edu
Fri Feb 7 11:06:47 EST 2003

----- Forwarded message from Simon Wiesenthal Center
<econtactor.wiesenthal at isissystemsgroup.com> -----
    Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:54:15 -0800
    From: Simon Wiesenthal Center <econtactor.wiesenthal at isissystemsgroup.com>
 Subject: **SPAM** Wiesenthal Center fights antisemitism at World Social Forum
held in Brazil
      To: Rebecca Mandel <rm02 at hampshire.edu>

Simon Wiesenthal Center

	Antisemitism & U.S. and Israel Bashing Permeate World Social Forum in Brazil

Amid an anti-Jewish climate permeated by U.S. and Israel bashing, displays of
antisemitism, and physical assaults on Jewish participants, the Simon
Wiesenthal Center was the only international Jewish non-governmental
organization participating in the recent World Social Forum held in Porto
Alegre, Brazil.

Throughout the city, a well coordinated, international solidarity campaign was
launched by the Palestinian Social Forum with their distribution of violently
anti-U.S. posters, anti-Israel tee shirts and diaries praising suicide bombers
(see photos).

Dr. Shimon Samuels, the Center's International Liaison and Sergio Widder, Latin
American Representative, expressed concern over the safety of the city's Jewish
community to Porto Alegre's mayor and asked that he "raise his voice to condemn
the antisemitism that has invaded the city."  They added that the anti-Israel
poster campaign that appeared throughout the city in three languages reinforced
"the anti-Jewish atmosphere at the World Social Forum endangering Porto
Alegre's small Jewish community."

At the same time, Center officials protested to Brazilian President Luiz Inacio
Lula da Silva over the pending ruling in the Supreme Court over a Holocaust
denial publisher who has asked the court to cancel his sentence on the grounds
that "his incitement to antisemitism is not a racist crime as Jews are not a
race."  Samuels and Widder asked that the President take measures to ensure
that Brazil's Supreme Court not "be abused in the service of hate" and "to
personally condemn incitement to antisemitism as a racist crime."

For more information, or to view the photo gallery from the World Social Forum,
go to www.wiesenthal.com

We need your support to continue our work.
Please click here to support the work of the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

A pop-up window will show up whenever you click a link in this message.  Please
use it to forward this important message to your family and friends to add
their voices!

Please do not respond directly to this email.

http://www.wiesenthal.com

This e-mail was sponsored by the Simon Wiesenthal Center,

an international organization with 400,000 members,

promoting tolerance and combating antisemitism worldwide.
L O S   A N G E L E S  .
N E W    Y O R K  .  P A R I S  .
B U E N O S    A I R E S

J E R U S A L E M  .  M I A M I  .  P A L M
B E A C H   .  T O R O N T O

© SWC Snider Social Action Institute

If you would like to update the information we have for you in our database or
modify the format of the message you receive from us, please click on the
following link:

http://www.wiesenthal.com/ecu.cfm?m=6185482e

If you no longer wish to receive mail from this list, please click on the link
below:

http://www.wiesenthal.com/us.cfm?m=6185482o

If you are having a problem accessing the links, please cut and paste them into
your browser.

----- End forwarded message -----