[GEO] GEO Weekly Digest!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 17 12:06:29 EST 2011

Hello from the Global Education Office (GEO)!

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents

Upcoming GEO Events
- Info Session at the Cultural Center
- Film Screening – Protection”
- API Study Abroad Info Table
- Navigating Study Abroad, Thursdays at 4pm

Save the Date: Study Abroad Deadlines
- Gilman Scholarship deadline
- Short Term and Exchange Deadline
- Enrollment Notification Deadline

Special Information:
- Transitions Abroad Student Writing Contest
- Social Justice Internship opportunity in Mexico
- Siena School For Liberal Arts ASL/Deaf-World programs
- Summer Internships at Edinburgh Festival
- Student Worker Project in Argentina

GEO Resources
-GEO Ambassadors
-GEO Website

---------
Info Session at the Cultural Center
Cultural Center
Tuesday, February 22nd, 4PM

Come get an overview of study abroad, your options, how to plan and
apply – Hear from students who have recently been abroad – as well as
ask any questions you may have.

Film Screening – Protection”
Main Lecture Hall, Franklin Patterson Hall
Thursday, February 24th, 7PM

Protection brings alive tensions, contradiction and realities
surrounding condom use for men and boys in the time of HIV. The film
offers glimpses into the attitudes and emotions of men of different
backgrounds and ages in South Africa, Kenya, and Sierra Leone, in rural
and urban contexts, and the challenges and realities of sexual
protection that men face in so many places. Jill Lewis, the executive
producer and project coordinator will be present to introduce the film
and for discussion afterwards.
http://www.protectionthefilm.com

API Info Table
Dining Commons
Tuesday, March 1st, 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM

Academic Programs International offers opportunities to study abroad in
26 cities over 10 countries, covering almost every academic discipline.
Stop by during lunch and chat about your opportunities, or just pick up
some literature. A representative from API will be at the table.

Study Abroad Info Session | Every Thursday 4PM | Merrill Living Room

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and
how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

--------
SAVE THE DATE: STUDY ABROAD DEADLINES

March 1st: Gilman Scholarship deadline for summer & fall

Hampshire May Short-Term Program Application Deadline:
March 7th, 2011

Hampshire Fall Exchange Application Deadline:
March 7th, 2011

Enrollment Notification Deadline(CASA):
April 8th, 2011

--------

 >> Transitions Abroad Student Writing Contest <<
Deadline March 8, 2011

The Winner Earns $500 to Share their Student Experience!
TransitionsAbroad.com hosts an annual student writing contest for all
currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students, students who
have graduated within the past year, and students currently on leave
from school are eligible. All winning pieces will be published on the
TransitionsAbroad.com website. Submit your entry by March 8, 2011.
Interested? Find out more at:
http://transitionsabroad.com/information/writers/student.shtml

 >> Social Justice Internship Opportunity in Mexico <<
Deadline March 18th

The Project on Organizing Development, Education, and Research (PODER)
will be holding its second annual Summer Internship Program in Mexico.
Selected students will receive training in strategic corporate research
and build upon their existing knowledge in order to work on active
corporate accountability projects. Students interested in human rights,
worker rights, environmental justice, anti-corruption, and corporate
accountability should submit a letter of recommendation,
Resume/Curriculum Vitae, and the PODER application to
programsconsultant at gmail.comby.
The application is available at www.poder.keepandshare.com.

 >> Siena School for Liberal Arts ASL Programs <<
Deadline April 1st

The Siena School for Liberal Arts, located in Tuscany, Italy, invites
ASL users and Deaf-World professionals to participate in one of its
unique programs. Over the summer, Italian and Italian Deaf Culture is
available to hearing students, while Italian and Cultural Studies is
available to deaf students; over the Spring, tracks for hearing and Deaf
students are offered. For more information check out www.sienaschool.com

 >> Edinburgh Festival Internship Summer Program <<
Deadline May 1st

Students interested in theatre and drama should not miss this
opportunity to intern at the famous Edinburgh festival! The program
includes four weeks at Edinburgh Business School studying business in
the arts, followed by a four week internship with a number of companies
at the Festival. Find more information at www.internshipscotland.com

 >> Student Worker Project in Argentina<<

The Student Worker Project gives students unparalleled access to one of
the most interesting social movements in South America. Many factories
previously run by an abusive and money-hungry management were abandoned
during the economic crisis. Now, workers who had lost their jobs have
organized themselves and reclaimed these factories, managing them
entirely through democratic assemblies. Students will study at the
University of Brenos Aires, as well as visiting these factories, meeting
workers, and learning about the alternatives to exploitative capitalism.
Some programs require an intermediate knowledge of Spanish. More
information at
www.studentworkerproject.com

GEO Ambassadors:
GEO Ambassadors: Becky Tang, Thais Guisasola, Xiaolei Gu, Jake Kolpas,
Aymee Malena, Ximena Casado, and Nathan Whitehouse. Come by the office
from 9 to noon or 1 to 4 and they will be happy to talk to you about
study abroad.

Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to make an appointment. We do not make appointments by email, but you
can come to the office to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff
member, or browse through our resource library.

Look at our website too: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that have come our way that
look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does
necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs
not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu