[GEO] GEO Daily Digest!

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:23:49 EST 2011

The Global Education Office (GEO) presents our Weekly Digest:

Spend your summer days under European sun!
Investigate programs offered in the summer and expand your learning
possibilities.

Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".

Contents:

Upcoming GEO events
- Study Abroad Info Table: CIS Abroad
- Short-term field courses interest session

Special Information
- Italian Sign Language
- Edinburgh University Internship
- Creativity, Vandalism and the Landscape
- Arts in London and Vermont

GEO Resources
- GEO Website, office hours

---------
UPCOMING EVENTS

***** Study Abroad Info Table: CIS Abroad *****
Tuesday, February 15th, 12pm
Dining Commons

Come by and chat with a representative from CIS Abroad and learn about
their many program opportunities across 22 countries. CIS offers
semester, summer, winter, internship, and faculty led programs, and
offers scholarships or grants to 70% of its students.

****** Short-Term Field Course Interest Session ******
Wed, Feb 16th, 4pm
Hampshire College, FPH West Lecture Hall
Find out about Hampshire's short-term field courses in Ireland, France,
China, Greece, Czech Republic and Poland this May/Summer.

All short-term field courses have an application and course program fee
administered through the global education office (GEO). The application
deadline for most courses is MON, MARCH 7th.

For general information about courses, eligibility, cost and financial
aid, and how to apply, check out the information on the GEO website
(http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/shortterm.htm) or stop by the GEO office.

--------
SPECIAL INFORMATION

****** Italian Sign Language ******

The Siena School for Liberal Arts operates study abroad programs for
American students.  The Deaf Studies Department has worked with the Deaf
community since 2005 and has operated study abroad programs for American
signers since 2007.

The foundation of our four programs is our Italian Sign Language (LIS)
and Italian Deaf culture courses.  Our knowledgeable and experienced
faculty and staff are Italian and American, Deaf and hearing, Signers
and Signers-to-be. Students can earn university credit or professional
development hours.

Summer 2011 - Deadline April 1, 2011

For more information:
Visit the website at www.sienaschoolforliberalarts.com

***** Edinburgh University Summer Internship *****

Internship Scotland in association with the University of Edinburgh
Business School is providing an 8 week summer internship program
combining a 4-week academic credit-bearing course (two courses providing
10 Edinburgh University credits) and a 4-week internship at a number of
Edinburgh Festival companies.

This program is great for theatre and drama students who want to gain an
internship at the Edinburgh Festival whilst learn about the business
behind theatre and arts and gain academic credit from the University of
Edinburgh.

Applications now available for Summer 2011.  Course from July 2nd to
August 28th.  More information available at: www.internshipscotland.com

******Creativity, Vandalism and the Landscape******
Burren College of Art Ireland > May 28th - June 24th, 2011
This 4-week interdisciplinary project-based summer school invites
artists, scientists and environmentalists to engage directly with the
Burren landscape as a microcosm of environmental issues world-wide.
Working collaboratively and independently in the landscape and in the
studios and workshops of the college you will explore how ecological
issues and human creativity interact to either damage or to enhance the
natural landscape. A series of socially engaged projects will combine
processes of artistic production with scientific research and experiment
to explore issues identified by experts in the field.
For more information access:
http://www.burrencollege.ie/programmes/summerschool/index.html

******Summer Arts intensive in London******
Marlboro College
May 16 - August 26, 2011
Marlboro College is opening its Summer Arts Intensive program to
students from other institutions who are studying visual arts,
performing arts or art history. This is an opportunity to delve deeply
into a wide variety of media through direct experience, analysis and
project-based work in your own area of specialization.
The 2011 program is comprised of a two-day orientation, three weeks in
London, U.K., three weeks in residence in Vermont, and two additional
periods of independent study. Space is limited to 20 participants.
For more information access: http://www.marlboro.edu/academics/summer/

------
GEO RESOURCES

*Stop by GEO or call our office (413 559 5542) from 9 to noon or 1 to 4
to schedule an appointment, talk to a staff member, or browse through
our resource library.

GEO: http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/

------

For questions/suggestions regarding this list email geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this listserv (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office.  It is a list of opportunities that have come our way
that look particularly interesting or that might be good fit for some
Hampshire students.  Just because a program is listed here does
necessarily mean that Hampshire "recommends" it any more than programs
not listed.

--

Global Education Office | Hampshire College
893 West Street | Amherst, Massachusetts 01002 USA

Phone: 413.559.5542 | Fax: 413.559-6173

Office Hours: Monday- Friday, 8:30am-noon, 1-4:30pm
Campus Location: Merrill Student Life Center, 1st floor

http://geo.hampshire.edu