[GEO] Chioke L'anson and Rachel Zaslow Presentations, Multi-Country Study Abroad, The Bridging Scholarship

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 13 10:45:44 EDT 2009

New to this listserv?
Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".
- - - - - - - - - -

*CONTENTS*

This Week's GEO Events
- Chioke L'anson and Rachel Zaslow: Lecture, Performance and Installation
- Navigating Study Abroad

Study Abroad Opportunities
- Multi-Country Study Abroad: IHP
- Study Asia: Thailand
- CGE: Mexico, Central America, Southern Africa
- Summer Creative Writing in England

Fellowships & Scholarships
- The Bridging Scholarship for Study Abroad in Japan

- - - - - - - - - -

*THIS WEEK'S GEO EVENTS*
Check for more upcoming events at http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/events.htm

 >> Chioke L'anson and Rachel Zaslow: Lecture, Performance, and Installation

Feminism and Social Change in War and Terror
Thurs March 26th at 5pm
The Women's Center in Enfield

Illuminating the complex interplay of gender, race, nation, culture, and religion in the context of armed struggles, this talk explores the raced-gendered logics, practices, and effects of war, and how women negotiate their survival, enact resistance to oppressive and supposedly liberating forces.  By shifting the analytic frame from a focus on war as an instrument of statecraft and a means of destruction to war as a mode of production and reproduction, we will consider how women can become agents of social change with a particular focus on artistic expression as a method of resistance.

Giving Birth Like a Girl
Thursday, March 26th at 7pm
Red Barn (6pm pizza and intro to 5 College CHS program)

How do highly constructed performances of maternity and femininity come into play with a complex system of obstetric ritual and practice and how might oral transmission be redefined as a means of storytelling that creates gendered notions of how to perform giving birth and re-envisaged as medical history that disrupts traditional medical notions of body as machine?

Poverty Installations
Friday, March 27th at 4pm
The Cultural Center in Prescott

Touring mock refugee camps, sleeping on the street for homelessness, fasting for three days for hunger - the performance of suffering is a common theme on college campuses.  In this workshop we will create our own 'suffering', tour them, and then reflect on the knowledge that is produced and problemetize what it really means to raise awareness.

>From the Arts and Social Action Program School for Interdisciplinary Arts, in collaboration with Culture Health and Science program, Hampshire College Women's Center, Feminist Studies, Third Wave, The Cultural Center, and Campus Leadership and Activities.

 >> Navigating Study Abroad
Thursday, March 12
4:00pm GEO office in Merrill Student Life Center

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

- - - - - - - - - -

*STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES*
For more opportunities, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/opportunities.htm

Not going anywhere for Spring Break, here's some Field Study options to think about for getting out of the Hampshire Bubble.

 >> Multi-Country Study Abroad through IHP

IHP is now accepting applications on a rolling admissions basis for its
fall and academic-year programs until the closing deadline of March
15th. IHP offers a unique set of theme-based, multi-country study
abroad programs. Each program is designed to give students the
opportunity to explore significant social, political, and environmental
issues using a comparative approach. Students who successfully complete
IHP will receive a transcript from SIT/World Learning.

2009-2010 IHP Programs:

IHP Rethinking Globalization: Nature, Culture and Justice - academic year
Economic development, social justice, environmental issues
Itinerary: Washington, D.C., Tanzania, India, New Zealand, and Mexico

Cities in the 21st Century: People, Planning and Politics - fall or spring semester
Urban development, planning, politics, environmental issues
Fall semester itinerary: New York, Beijing, Bangalore, and Buenos Aires

Health & Community: Globalization, Culture and Care - two programs in spring semester
Healthcare distribution, public health policy, cultural perceptions of health.
Spring Semester Program 1: Switzerland, India, China, South Africa
Spring Semester Program 2: United States, Tanzania, Vietnam

www.ihp.edu

 >> Study Asia: Thailand

Study Asia (a division of The Education Abroad Network, formerly known
as Study Australia) is very pleased to announce a new semester length
direct enrollment program in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Study Asia has partnered with Payap University in the politically
stable and culturally significant northern Thai city of Chiang Mai to
offer this integrated semester program. Payap University was the first
fully accredited private university in Thailand. Payap offers 22
undergraduate degrees in Thai across 12 Academic Departments including
Law, Business, Science and Humanities and 4 undergraduate degrees in
English including Business, Hospitality and IT.  Masters programs in 9
disciplines are also available. Undergraduate students on the program
are required to undertake a Thai Culture Course (with included field
visits) and a Thai Language Course (Beginner, Immediate or Advanced).
Students complete their studies by choosing a further 1-2 electives
from a list of courses taught in English. Full listing is available on
our website (www.educationabroadnetwork.org)

Students live in integrated on-campus housing sharing a large
comfortable dorm room with an English speaking local Thai student.
Rooms feature a private bathroom and air-conditioning. Accommodation
includes full board and wireless internet.

A feature of all our programs is the extensive on-the-ground support
network in every location. Our Chiang Mai based Resident Director
forms the nucleus of this in-country support and is on-call 24/7 for
any and all issues students may encounter. He complements the
excellent student support services that exist at Payap University. The
program includes a 3 day Bangkok-based orientation program and an
unique opportunity for students to participate in a weekly service
learning project volunteering in either in a local temple working with
novice monks or orphanage assisting with the local children.
Internship opportunities also exist in specific areas.

Semester Program Fee is $USD 10, 850.00 including all tuition,
housing, meals, accommodation, Bangkok orientation, service learning,
academic field trips and Resident Director services.

Semester Program Dates are Jan - May and Aug - Dec.

 >> CGE Programs in Central America, Mexico, and Southern Africa

Greetings from the Center for Global Education,

We have a few spots available on the Center for Global Education's
summer and fall semester programs.  Application deadline for all
program is April 1.
Visit www.centerforglobaleducation.org for a full listing of programs and services.

CENTRAL AMERICA
--Sustainable Development and Social Change (Fall - Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua)
--Spanish Language and Mayan Spirituality (Summer - Guatemala)

MEXICO (Cuernavaca)
--Crossing Borders: Gender and Social Change in Mesoamerica (Fall)
-  We have canceled the border orientation to this program, so it fully
takes place in Central Mexico with travel to El Salvador. Students
interested in studying migration and immigration issues might consider
this as an alternative if they choose not to study on the border due to
safety concerns
--Gender, Art and Social Change (Summer)
--Academic Internships and Independent Research (Summer)
--Spanish Language and Culture (Summer)

SOUTHERN AFRICA (based in Windhoek, Namibia)
--Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind (Fall)
--Social Change and Development in Southern Africa (Summer - internship program)

 >> Summer Creative Writing in England

The University of Manchester's 2009 Creative Writing Summer School.

The Summer School runs from 29 June-23 July 2009, and includes
courses on British literature and its relationship with place; creative
writing workshops (fiction and poetry - suitable for first-time and
experienced writers); excursions to London, the Lake District and the
Yorkshire Moors; a gala event featuring our Professor of Creative
Writing, Martin Amis; and readings and Q&A sessions with published
writers.
The Summer School is based at the Centre for New Writing at The
University of Manchester - one of the UK's top universities. The
vibrant city of Manchester boasts a thriving arts and music scene, easy
access to beautiful countryside and some of the best shopping and
nightlife in Britain.  The Summer School itself includes a wide range
of social and cultural activities, to help participants get acquainted
both with fellow students and with this region of the UK.
A short writing sample and a 400-word personal statement are
required as part of the online application. The Centre offers one
scholarship of £500 which will be awarded to a Summer School student
based on the quality of their short writing sample submitted during the
application process.

For further details of the programme, or to apply, please visit www.manchester.ac.uk/arts/newwriting/events/summerschool/.

- - - - - - - - -

*FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS*
For more scholarships & funding options, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/funding.htm

 >> The Bridging Scholarship for Study Abroad in Japan

The Bridging Scholarship program will award up to 50 scholarships to
American students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan
that begin in Fall 2009. Undergraduate students majoring in any field
of study and attending any recognized exchange or independent program
in Japan are eligible to apply for these scholarships.

Recipients of Bridging Scholarships will receive stipends ranging
from $2,500 to $4,000, depending on the length of their study program
in Japan. The scholarships are funded by donations from U.S.
corporations and foundations to the US-Japan Bridging Foundation.
Since 1999, the Bridging Scholarship program has awarded 875
scholarships to students studying abroad in Japan. Most recently, 17
students from colleges and universities received scholarships for the
Spring 2009 semester.

The deadline for applications is April 6, 2009. Applicants will be
notified of the results by May 30. Selection will be based on
academic potential and financial need. The scholarships are
administered by the Association of Teachers of Japanese.

In addition, Morgan Stanley will award two $7,500 scholarships to
undergraduate students who will be studying abroad in Japan during
the 2009-2010 academic year and who have an interest in economics and
international finance. Applicants must submit an essay on one of
several designated public-policy topics together with an application
for the Bridging Scholarship program.

Fall 2009 programs are those beginning between August and October
2009 and continuing for at least three months. (Summer program
participants are not eligible for Bridging Scholarships.) Students
planning to study abroad in Japan beginning after January 1, 2010,
should apply in October 2009 for the Spring 2010 scholarships.

Information on the Bridging and Morgan Stanley scholarships and
downloadable application forms are available at ATJ's Web site:
http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/scholarships.html. Printed
application brochures are also available.

- - - - - - - - - -
*QUESTIONS? SUGGESTIONS?*

For questions & suggestions regarding this listserv, or to schedule an
appointment to discuss studying abroad, please contact the Global
Education Office at 413.559.5542 or geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this digest (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that we've heard about that
look particularly interesting or that might be a good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does not mean
that Hampshire or GEO "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.