[GEO] Volunteer in an Honduran Orphanage, Julieta Paredes: Performance, Activism, and Feminism in Bolivia

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 27 10:46:18 EDT 2009

New to this listserv?
Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".
- - - - - - - - - -

*CONTENTS*

This Week's GEO Events
- Julieta Paredes: Bolivian Feminism, Performance, Activism
- Navigating Study Abroad

Study Abroad Opportunities
- Field Study Notification Deadline April 10th
- Summer Internships Abroad through WISE ABROAD
- Volunteer at an Orphanage in Honduras

Fellowships & Scholarships
- DEADLINE APRIL 7TH: Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship

- - - - - - - - - -

*THIS WEEK'S GEO EVENTS*
Check for more upcoming events at http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/events.htm

 >> Julieta Paredes: Bolivian Feminism, Performance, Activism

Wed. April 1
"Decolonizing Bodies: Performance, Activism, and Feminism in Bolivia"
HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE 6:00 p.m. East Lecture Hall

Julieta Paredes, Bolivian feminist activist from Mujeres Creando (Women Creating) and the Asamblea Feminista (Feminist Assembly)

Join us for a performance/lecture/ discussion about activism and performance. The performance will be in Spanish. The lecture/discussion will be in Spanish, and an English translation will be provided.

Julieta Paredes is an Aymara feminist activist, poet, and founding member of the Mujeres Creando (Women Creating)--a feminist collective that participates in a range of anti-poverty work, including, graffiti, street theater, videos, and writings. She currently organizes the Feminist Assembly in Bolivia and is involved in grassroots organizing and performances around issues related to gender, arts, and indigeneity. For further materials on Mujeres Creando and a chapter by Julieta Paredes see No Pudieron con nosotras: El desafio del feminismo autononmo de Mujeres Creando, Elizabeth Monasterios, ed. La Paz: Plural Editories/University of Pittsburgh. 2006.

 >> Navigating Study Abroad
Thursday, April 2
4:00pm GEO office in Merrill Student Life Center

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

- - - - - - - - - -

*STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES*
For more opportunities, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/opportunities.htm

 >> **DEADLINE TUES, APRIL 10TH FOR FIELD STUDY NOTIFICATION**

Field Study for next fall IS STILL AN OPTION. The enrollment notification deadline is on Friday, April 10. Make sure to stop-by the GEO office to plan your field study options.  Also, pick up your notification packet at CASA and make an appointment to get your signature from GEO.

 >> WISE ABROAD: SUMMER INTERNSHIPS

WISE Abroad, LLC is dedicated to the dissemination of global awareness and understanding among college students, recently graduated college students and educators through work-and-travel programs abroad, international internships and study abroad programs

We are accepting applications for our summer internships in the following
countries:

- Australia
- Costa Rica
- Spain
- France
- Italy
- Germany
- Singapore
- China
- Taiwan
- Dominican Republic
- Mexico

The application deadline has been extended to April 1, 2009.

Please visit our website at www.wiseabroad.org to learn about our programs.
Please call WISE Abroad at 979-492-1345 for further inquiries.

 >> Volunteer in Honduras at HOGAR TIERRA SANTA

The mission of Hogar Tierra Santa, a nonprofit located in La Villa de San Antonio, Honduras and founded in 1986, is to nurture, support and educate the abandoned, abused, underprivileged and orphaned children of Honduras so that they may become productive and independent adults.

The mission is put into action by providing the children with:

·A safe and loving home

·A nutritional diet

·Full healthcare, a sanitary living space and hygienic necessities

·Formal and trade education that exceeds national standards and norms

·An open and accepting environment in which the children may find themselves and discover their own interests and beliefs

Hogar Tierra Santa is a multi-faith organization that celebrates diversity.

At Hogar Tierra Santa we receive volunteers from all over the world. Volunteers come in groups, both large and small, and as individuals. During their time here they lend a hand by helping out with construction projects, general maintenance, classes for the children, tutoring, and much more. What you do as a volunteer at Hogar Tierra Santa depends upon your length of stay or your own personal, or group's, skills and interests.

Groups usually spend one to two weeks at the hogar, while individuals often spend from a few weeks to many months. All volunteers should come with a flexible and open mind, ready to do whatever the hogar needs done. With over 130 children there is much to do at the hogar; the amount of different jobs and tasks is really quite daunting.

Volunteers are an important part of the hogar's operations. They enrich the lives of our children in numerous ways.

If you are interested in volunteering as an individual, please take a look at our Volunteer Primer.
http://www.hogartierrasanta.org/resources/VOLUNTEER+PRIMER2009.pdf

If you have any questions that are not answered by the Volunteer Primer, or have decided that you wish to apply, please contact us.
volunteer at hogartierrasanta.org or Hampshire Student Cameron Merker: clm06 at hampshire.edu

If you would like to bring a group of volunteers to the hogar, please contact us and tell us a little bit about you, your group, and your hopes for the experience.

See you at Hogar Tierra Santa!
http://www.hogartierrasanta.org/index.html

- - - - - - - - - -

*FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS*
For more scholarships & funding options, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/funding.htm

 >> DEADLINE APRIL 7: The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Award

This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a 2-year or 4-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Award recipients receive up to $5,000. Sponsored by: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Administered by: Institute of International Education (IIE).

Students who apply for and receive the Gilman Scholarship are now eligible to receive an additional $3,000 "Critical Need Language" Supplement from the Gilman Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000.

In order to be considered for a Gilman Scholarship, you must have the following completed by each deadline:
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 - Submit online application by 11:59pm
Friday, April 10, 2009 - Postmark deadline for transcripts
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - Both your Financial Aid and Study Abroad advisors must submit their online certifications

Check out their website for ideas on how to write a good essay as well as ideas on what Gilman Scholars are doing now.

http://www.iie.org/programs/gilman/index.html

- - - - - - - - - -
*QUESTIONS? SUGGESTIONS?*

For questions & suggestions regarding this listserv, or to schedule an
appointment to discuss studying abroad, please contact the Global
Education Office at 413.559.5542 or geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this digest (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that we've heard about that
look particularly interesting or that might be a good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does not mean
that Hampshire or GEO "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.