[GEO] Find or Create Your Own Field Study, Benjamin A Gilman Scholarship, Study Abroad Students at SAGA

Global Education Office geo at hampshire.edu
Fri Mar 6 12:01:51 EST 2009

New to this listserv?
Remember that all of GEO's weekly digests (since fall '07) are available
online! Follow the link at the very bottom of this email, then click on
"GEO Archives".
- - - - - - - - - -

*CONTENTS*

This Week's GEO Events
- Study Abroad Students at Saga
- Navigating Study Abroad

Study Abroad Opportunities
- Hampshire Exchange Deadline This Wednesday
- Find or Create Your Own Field Study
- Returning to Hampshire

Fellowships & Scholarships
- Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship

- - - - - - - - - -

*THIS WEEK'S GEO EVENTS*
Check for more upcoming events at http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/events.htm

 >> Come talk to students about their study abroad experience!!

Wednesday, March 11
12:00pm Saga

Students who studied in India, Scotland, and Cuba will be available to talk during the lunch hour at SAGA.

 >> Navigating Study Abroad
Thursday, March 12
4:00pm GEO office in Merrill Student Life Center

Weekly GEO Info Sessions provide an overview of study abroad options and how to begin planning your study abroad experience.

- - - - - - - - - -

*STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES*
For more opportunities, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/opportunities.htm

 >> **DEADLINE NEXT WEEK WED, MARCH 11TH FOR HAMPSHIRE EXCHANGE PROGRAMS**

Are you going on Hampshire Exchange next semester? Have you finished up your application paperwork? Do you have all your recommendations? Don't forget to drop off your application before you take off for Spring Break!!

Although the deadline for Hampshire Exchange is next week, the Field Study for next fall IS STILL AN OPTION. The enrollment notification deadline is on Friday, April 10.

 >> Field Study Planning: Find or Create Your Own Field Study

Want to study abroad next fall but none of the Hampshire Programs fit your academic path.  Stop by the GEO Office to get ideas on what kinds of field studies exist.

In the past, Hampshire students have gone through  outside study abroad organizations like:
SIT
http://www.worldlearning.org/sitemap.htm
Living Routes
http://livingroutes.org/

Also students have organized their own independent research projects in Venezuela, Morocco, and Western Europe. We have a plethora of information and ideas in our office and online from experience reports to blogs and online journals. Peruse through our resources to help guide your academic path at Hampshire.

Student Blogs:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/blogs.htm

Online Journals:
Abroad View
http://www.abroadview.org/stories/

Glimpse
http://glimpse.org/

Stop by the GEO Office to get ideas and then stop by CASA to get the enrollment notification paperwork.

 >> Returning to Hampshire: Experience Reports and SAGA Tables

Have you recently arrived from a semester or year abroad?  Don't forget to share your experience with the Hampshire Community.  We have an online experience report available for you to help reflect on your time away. Also you are welcome to share it in our experience abroad book. Check out our Returning to Hampshire Page for ideas on how to share your experience.

http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/returning.htm

Also we are hosting weekly tables in SAGA to share your experience with DIV I and II students. Contact Alana to schedule a time to host a table. asv05 at hampshire.edu

- - - - - - - - - -

*FELLOWSHIPS & SCHOLARSHIPS*
For more scholarships & funding options, visit:
http://www.hampshire.edu/geo/funding.htm

 >> The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Award

This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a 2-year or 4-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Award recipients receive up to $5,000. Sponsored by: U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Administered by: Institute of International Education (IIE).

Students who apply for and receive the Gilman Scholarship are now eligible to receive an additional $3,000 "Critical Need Language" Supplement from the Gilman Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000.

In order to be considered for a Gilman Scholarship, you must have the following completed by each deadline:
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 - Submit online application by 11:59pm
Friday, April 10, 2009 - Postmark deadline for transcripts
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - Both your Financial Aid and Study Abroad advisors must submit their online certifications

Check out their website for ideas on how to write a good essay as well as ideas on what Gilman Scholars are doing now.

http://www.iie.org/programs/gilman/index.html

- - - - - - - - - -
*QUESTIONS? SUGGESTIONS?*

For questions & suggestions regarding this listserv, or to schedule an
appointment to discuss studying abroad, please contact the Global
Education Office at 413.559.5542 or geo at hampshire.edu

DISCLAIMER: Opportunities and programs listed on this digest (unless
specified as Hampshire Exchange or Short-Term Programs) are not endorsed
by our office. It is a list of opportunities that we've heard about that
look particularly interesting or that might be a good fit for some
Hampshire students. Just because a program is listed here does not mean
that Hampshire or GEO "recommends" it any more than programs not listed.