[Clusterusers] cluster planning

Jonathan Klein jkCS at hampshire.edu
Mon May 15 12:34:35 EDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Lee Spector wrote:

> I expect that my next major use of the cluster will involve breve, and
> possibly a new built for which we'll have to talk to Jon.

For both breve and push3, and potentially for other in-house projects, I
think we'll need to come up with some convention for versioning things.
It's not uncommon that we make updates or bugfixes and need to install
new builds on a daily basis.  At the same time, the new builds are
potentially unstable or may behave differently, so we'll also want to keep
official release copies around as well.

I've been doing this with various versions littered around /opt, but I
figure it would be a good idea to have a more standard/documented
approach.

Because breve relies on classfiles which change from release to release,
it's not as simple as just having multiple breve binaries.  So with that
in mind, I guess one suggestion would be /usr/local/breve/[version] where
version is one of: current, development, or any other version/snapshot we
want to keep.  Users could then set their paths and breve environments
accordingly.

Does that work?

- jon klein