[Clusterusers] cluster planning

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Mon May 15 11:51:03 EDT 2006

Josiah,

This all sounds fantastic to me. On the IP/access/firewall stuff --
if I'll be able to ssh/scp into the cluster head node from the
outside world I'll be very happy, assuming we won't be putting the
cluster at unreasonable risk.

I expect that my next major use of the cluster will involve breve,
and possibly a new built for which we'll have to talk to Jon.

I do have a sequence of probably ignorant questions, which can be
summarized as: Will I still be able to run/stop cluster-wide lisp
jobs with my shell scripts or some reasonable replacements? I guess
there are a couple of parts to this, on the possibly-silly assumption
that I WOULD still be using shell scripts:

- Can I still get a list of all of the node names and stick them in a
local file with something like:

/usr/bin/gstat -l -1 | grep n | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | sort > ~/pssc/rshnodes

- Can I still then fork processes on all of the nodes (AT THE SAME
TIME) with something like:

forkall "/opt/bin/cmucl -dynamic-space-size 1600 -load /home/lspector/
$1/load -quiet > /tmp/output"

where my "forkall" is defined as:

#!/bin/sh
while read nodename  ; do
         ssh $nodename "$@" & < /dev/null;
done <  ~/pssc/rshnodes

- Can I still then kill all of my lisp processes across the cluster
with something like:

forkall source ~/bin/kill-lisps

where my kill-lisps is:

kill -9 `ps -ax | grep lisp | gawk '{ print $1 }'`

If the answer is something like "NO, you can't do any of that in such
a goofy, neanderthal sort of way, but there are perfectly good and in
fact simpler ways to do this with ROCKS" then of course I'd be fine
with that, although I'll need some pointers about the new way to do
it. If, on the other hand, there's some major snag in doing this sort
of thing in any way, then I'm worried and we need to talk.

Thanks,

  -Lee