[Asianmedia] Screening this Thursday!

Tristan Athearn-Hess tba04 at stout.hampshire.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:57:26 EST 2006

Hey everyone! Well, its the last week before thanksgiving break and I
FINALLY get to show again (man, its been a while...) so I thought it
would be best if we did something a little more... well, more.

Starting at eight we have the first four/five episodes of

The Vision of Escaflowne:

(from AnimeNfo.com) Hitomi Kanzaki is a typical high school girl,
with all the regular high school problems. But when a vision of a
young man battling a dragon becomes a reality, her life changes
forever. Drawn into a strange vortex with the swordsman, Van, Hitomi
is thrust into the strange world of Gaia. Entangled in a struggle
over life and death, Van must learn to master the suit of armor,
Escaflowne. Chased by the Empire of Zaibach, Van and Hitomi will
encounter both allies and enemies in an effort to unlock the secrets
within Escaflowne.

This is an anime near and dear to my heart, as it was the show that
got me interested in REAL anime, not just the badly-dubbed shit they
show on TV. The music is done by Yoko Kanno (you may remember her
from COWBOY BEBOP) also has my two favorite voice actors in it:
Nakata Joji (Alucard from Hellsing! Also did voices for lots of other
animes, including Fate/Stay Night and Elfen Lied) and Seki Tomokazu
(Shimbo from Chobits, Tanaka-san from Genshiken, Sosuke from Full
Metal Panic!, Junpei from Those Who Hunt Elves, Bart from Vandread,
Brandon/Grave from Gungrave, the list just keeps going). I decided to
use the AnimeNFo description because it does't spoil ANY plot twists,
of which there are A LOT.

Next we continue watching Full Metal Alchemist. Now that Al and Ed
have been forcibly reunited with their old teacher, the time has come
for them to go back to basics and get strong enough to deal with the
threat of the Homonculi.

Then, after FMA, we will pick Escaflowne BACK UP where we left off
and, for those who don't want the night to end, will KEEP WATCHING
until people start falling asleep or leaving. It will be EPIC!
(hopefully...)

Until INeverCouldGetTheHangOfThursdays,

Tristan - Signing off!