[Asianmedia] Screening for 3-16-06

Sam Ross sar04 at hampshire.edu
Wed Mar 15 02:02:24 EST 2006

Usually here's where I'd post something vaguely witty but school work is kicking
my ass right now, so here's the scoop for this week:

As you may have seen by the posters around campus, this week, we'll be doing our
first event of the semester, a series of Chinese movie screenings. The movies,
listed below, I'm told are all fantastic and you should definately come and
check them all out. Plus two added bonuses, at 5PM we'll be having a pizza
dinner, and at the end of the night we'll be announcing our anime for after
break, so come partake in one last piece of awesomeness, at least to take a
break from packing :).

-Sam

Chinese Movie Marathon Schedule:

Dakin Living Room:
1:00PM - Together - From the director of Farewell my Concubine comes "Together",
a movie about a violin prodigy and his father from a small, provincial
town who travel to Beijing, where the father seeks the means to his son's
success while the son struggles to accept the path laid before him.

We will then continue in the

East Lecture Hall of FPH:

3:30PM - Supercop - A Hong Kong detective (Jackie Chan) teams up with his female
Red Chinese counterpart to stop a Chinese drug czar.

5:00PM - Not One Less - 13-year-old Wei Minzhi, who can barely read or write
herself, is chosen to take over her impoverished village's one-room schoolhouse
when its sole teacher must suddenly leave for one month. Warned not to let a
single student drop out over the course of his absence, when one of her
students doesn't show up for school one day, Wei is determined to go into the
city, find him and bring him back.

6:30PM - The King of Masks - The tale of an eldery street performer, a master of
the Sichuan opera art, who longs for an heir not just for himself but also for
his art. Tradition requires that the art be passed only to a direct heir, and
only to a boy, not a girl. So when he discovers a cute, lively boy for sale and
takes him home to pass as his own son, how surprised is he, to discover his
"heir" is in fact a girl...

8:00PM - The Emperor and the Assassin - A romantic tale set in feudal China
during the 3rd century B.C. which centers around the story of an ambituous
king, Ying Zheng, obsessed with unifying all of China and becoming its first
emperor. Lady Zhao, Ying Zheng's lover from childhood, devises an intricate
fake assassination plot against Ying Zheng which will provide him with a
legitimate excuse to invade the neighboring kingdom of Yang, his great obstacle
to unification.

--
Sam Ross
Box 1384, Hampshire College