[YellowBike] (no subject)

hmh04 at hampshire.edu hmh04 at hampshire.edu
Mon Apr 17 00:56:32 EDT 2006

hey everybody,

lindsay, kat, otis, and i had a spontaneous meeting tonight, for which i was
still partially inebriated, but worked out some of the logistics for next
semester. the main point being the need to build real community amongst bike
friendly people both on hampshire campus and over at smith. community is kind
of a bullshit term outside of summer camp, but we need to have regular
interactions to build rewarding relationships and get yellow bikes back to the
realm of species abundance and make people aware that they are back.
personally, i really enjoyed the sunset ride,  which was actually a few of us
just drinking pbr on bikes in the rain with smith kids and no sunset, but i
think we should do it more often and make better friends with the bike kitchen
girls. we're also thinking about having another barbecue in the end of the
semester (which seems to already be upon us) if we're not all completely
swamped. we have another couple hundred buckaroonies to spend and that would be
a good use of half, with the rest going towards parts.

we also want to meet with earl from the bike shop in the next couple days to try
and integrate the bike shop and yellow bike program. apparently there are two
work study positions available through yellow bike and two at the bike shop,
one of which i believe is filled by price but i'm not sure, and if we could
mesh completely there could be a space with yellow people where students could
bring their own bikes to be worked on, which would really be killing two birds
because all people seem to care about are their own bikes so we could satisfy
those wants and secretly lure people into our amazing domain of fun work
parties and yellow bikes at the same time. having an integrated system would
allow us to help more people for longer hours in the week and get earl out of
that stupid space in the rcc.

there was also some talk about making some profit from yellow bike to enable
some sort of summer program or community outreach, but i wasn't listening so we
should return to this on thursday at 8(!)pm in the comfort of the upper rcc.

kat is writing out the budget proposal tonight, which also happens to be
lindsay's birthday if you missed that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDSAY again, and
everyone rest up, sleep tight, and drink lots of water because tomorrow is not
actually a holiday.

in mellow solidarity,
hannah

ps. i'm taking this opportunity to awkwardly announce at a safe electronic
distance that the recent unfurling of drama amongst a select few yellers has
got to go. so lets be open and get all the negativity out there so we can sort
it out, bag it up with our gigantic phosphorescing magic stuff sacks, and toss
it down stream. because it sucks.

pps. this email is cowritten by my new cricket friend who apparently enjoys the
warmth given off by my lap top and is quietly perched in front of the screen.
he also thinks we should all make up and play nicey nice in the grease again.