[YellowBike] a volkstrailer?

Aaron Wieler afw01 at hampshire.edu
Tue Nov 23 11:21:27 EST 2004

hi tommy.

I don't know if there's anything worthy of a nervous tick of glee, but I am
working on community bike stuff, and low-cost, simple trailer stuff.

I'm writing a zine about building trailers, and it has a little bit about
car-free politics. that's pretty much where I'm at these days, and
supporting local economies though taking initiative with the technology that
we use.

this list, yellowbike, is about the community bike program that we have
here. we get donations of bikes, buy some parts, and fix the bikes up. we
paint them yellow, give them a name, and release them to the campus. we're
at hampshire collge, which is 3 miles from town, so it's an effort for the
bikes to ride off to town, especially since we singlspeedify them as much as
possible.

hey yellowbikers, what is your take on bike culture around here, either at
hampshire or in the valley?

the zine about bike carts isn't ready for distribution yet, but it will be
soon. I would be happy to send you a copy when it's done. I think I'll put a
pdf of it online too. maybe through microcosm too.

we had a bike cart building workshop here last weekend. we worked on 3 carts
for the campus house offices. eventually, over 1000 people will have access
to these carts, to borrow with a bike, for their bike, or to push by hand.

the cart is made from 1/2" EMT conduit, either recycled or new. do you have
a picture of your tallbike? I built one this summer.

picture here:
http://stout.hampshire.edu/~afw01/pictures/tallbike1.jpg

do you know that welding galvanized steel (conduit) releases zinc oxide,
which can make you sick?

pictures of the carts here:
http://stout.hampshire.edu/~afw01/pictures/cart1.jpg
http://stout.hampshire.edu/~afw01/pictures/cart2.jpg

the carts weigh 15 to 20 lbs and cost about $25 to make. if you're familiar
with the fabrication, they take...maybe 6 hours? to build.

cycle circus has a cart design from bike parts. it's at:
http://www.cyclecircus.org/images/colortrailer5.gif

so, what are your bike parties like? your bike encouragement sounds great.
tell me more...

rubbersidedown, yellowside up.

-aaron