[Push] PushGP Code Generation

Patrik Kimmeswenger patrik.kimmeswenger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:39:01 EDT 2016

Hello,

my name is Patrik Kimmeswenger and I am studying Software Engineering at
the University of Applied Sciences in Hagenberg
<pen%20https://www.fh-ooe.at/en/hagenberg-campus/studiengaenge/master/software-engineering/>.
Currently I am working on my master thesis with the title
"Implementation and Ancestry Analysis of PushGP in HeuristicLab".
Thereby I am advised by DI (FH) Miachel Kommenda MSc, a member of the
HeuristicLab <http://dev.heuristiclab.com/> team.

My implementation of PushGP 3.0 written in C# is already able to parse
and evaluate Push programs. At this point I want to thank you for the
create language description. It is very detailed and easy to understand.
However I have a question regarding Random Code Generation
<http://faculty.hampshire.edu/lspector/push3-description.html#RandomCode>.
I am not able to understand what is meant by the term "If this is an
ephemeral random constant". I took a look at the Java implementation
(Jsh) and noticed that a random number is used to determine which random
generator should be used whereby a random generator for each data type
(integer, float, boolean) exists and another one which is responsible
for instructions. This seems to be a nice solution but I don't
understand where an "ephemeral random constant" is used?

Sincerely,
Patrik Kimmeswenger