[Push] Wondering about Code

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Wed May 5 08:02:58 EDT 2010

Rud,

I agree that would be useful, but it would take only a little more/different coding to do this by defining a new instruction in the implementation language, to implement the previously-found solution to a subtask, rather than using a Push NAME. The allure of the NAME type is that it might allow the definition of such named functions to be done automatically during evolution. Something similar can (and does) happen without NAMEs, insofar as code on the EXEC/CODE stack can be function-like without being named, but I've yet to see evolution make use of actual NAMEs in a significant way.

 -Lee