[Push] Push updates

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Wed Apr 5 09:57:30 EDT 2006

I've just made a couple of minor documentation changes to the posted
Push3 Lisp source (which was still referring to Push2) and thought it
was also time for a couple of other minor notices:

- A variety of enhancements/fixes have been made to the C++
implementation available from sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/
projects/push-evolve/). In addition to Maarten's 2006-01-22 changes
("This release should now compile with g++-4.0 as well. The 'name'
handling has been changed fairly rigorously and should work much
better now.") I believe that Jon also made some bug fixes. If you use
Push from within the breve simulation environment then you'll be
using the latest Push if you download the most recent breve build,
and the breve help files (e.g. on the PushInterpreter class) will
reflect the latest Push.

- I don't think I ever announced the GECCO-2005 paper on Push3 here.
Push3 provides a couple of major enhancements to the Push paradigm.
Both of our current Push implementations implement the Push3
specification. The GECCO paper, which provides the details and some
PushGP results that rely on Push3, is:

Spector, L., J. Klein, and M. Keijzer. 2005. The Push3 Execution
Stack and the Evolution of Control. In Proceedings of the Genetic and
Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-2005), pp. 1689-1696.
Springer-Verlag. http://hampshire.edu/lspector/pubs/push3-gecco2005.pdf

- I get a fairly regular trickle of off-list Push queries/comments
that would be just as appropriate on-list and might spark some
conversations. Some are from non-subscribers but some are from
subscribers. Since the list volume has been very low I want to
encourage people to post any Push-related mail here rather than just
communicating one-on-one.

  -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspector at hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438