[Push] pushtalk

Maarten mkeijzer at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 26 05:29:09 EDT 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 00:49, Lee Spector wrote:
> I assume that Maarten is willing to share the code now, and I
> know we're planning to make it open source soon... but I'm not
> sure where we are in that process... Maarten?

Haven't opened up a sourceforge entry yet, mainly because I'm not
sure what license to put it under, or under what name. I'm usually
in favour of using GPL or LGPL. There are various trade-offs to
consider with this: GPL means that anyone that distributes anything
with the push implementation in it should also make their own
add-ons open source. LGPL means that they only have to distribute
in source their modifications to the push implementation.

I would suggest using GPL as it would not hurt any academic or
non-commercial work.

Then, a sourceforge project name. Unfortunately 'push' is already
taken by the Perl User SHell. What about

o push-language
o push-lang
o ???

I was also considering push-c++, but we might want to consider
putting other implementations of push there as well (e.g., Lee's
lisp code).

So, license and name. Any comments?

-Maarten-