[Push] pushtalk

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Sat Jul 24 14:24:06 EDT 2004

ccos,

Fairly intensive discussions are happening in private email, at least
between 4 or 5 of us doing somewhat active Push development... I'm
never sure when to divert these discussions to the list... And yes,
we've unfortunately been getting quite a bit of spam -- every once in a
while I nudge our sysadmins on this, and believe it or not I do think
it has gotten better (and will get better at some point).

I'll be posting something substantive in the next couple of days, on
Push 3.0, which a couple of us have been discussing and implementing
recently. Perhaps that will be a good spark for more public
conversations. As a quick sneak preview, the primary innovations in
Push 3.0 are a new scheme for named variables/instructions that cuts
down on the amount of code needed to use these, and a new "EXEC" stack
that maintains the state of the interpreter (e.g. nested calls to DO*)
explicitly. The EXEC stack was developed primarily to allow Push
interpreters to be interruptable/re-entrant, but it turns out to make a
bunch of other interesting things possible as well. C++ and Lisp
versions will be made available. A lot of this has been spearheaded by
Maarten Keijzer.

More soon!

  -Lee