[Push] Push3 in C++

John Truesdale jet at ncar.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 13 18:06:32 EDT 2004

Hi Maarten and Lee:

First of all where should I be posting messages regarding bugs and code
type issues.  Is there a developers list or anything like that or do
want to see coding issues brought up on this list?  Until I hear differently
I'll be posting here.  Now on to push3++ issues.

Checked out the model via cvs into a new directory and tried to configure it.
It balked at something to do with autom4te.  I was able to remove
autom4te.cache directory (probably cached data for Maarten's machine) and
on the next try it recreated the autom4te.cache directory.  After that I was
able to configure and build the model correctly.  I'm not sure that removing
the directory was the best way to solve the problem but you should look into
that and make sure the CVS repository doesn't contain any autoconf cached
information.

The model compiled correctly but I didn't notice any speed up for
Instructions.cpp.  I was now able to run the example program as
expected.  I started pushgp_int before I left last night and much to
my suprise when I checked in this morning it looked to be hung or
stuck in some type of loop.  No output to the screen but still chewing
up lots of processor time.  It ran for a long time before I left to go home
but hung sometime during the night. I'm still just going through the papers
for push3 but I thought there was some safeguards against this type thing.  Do
your gp runs hang occasionally?

Next I tried to update my cvs distribution and sure enough some new files
did show up.  It looked like the new files created from splitting
Instructions.cpp.  I'm not sure what happened during my first checkout of
push3.  I seemed to get some of the files that made the example program run
correctly but somehow missed the newly created xxxInstructions files.
Unfortunately it still looks as though the CVS repository is still missing
the FloatInstructions.cpp file as the compile dies with the following error.

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `FloatInstructions.cpp', needed by `FloatInstructions.lo'.  Stop.

Could you add and commit that file to the CVS repository?

Thanks

jt