[Push] using the list, push/ECJ?

Lee Spector lspector at hampshire.edu
Thu Jun 5 09:20:55 EDT 2003

Hi Push list subscribers. A quick note and a query:

1) I receive fairly regular Push-related queries and technical comments but
few are sent to this list... I think some of these discussions would be
interesting to other folks as well, so I want to encourage people to use
this list rather than direct email whenever it might be appropriate. I
can't imagine that list volume will become a problem any time soon since it
is now essentially zero.

2) I know that several folks have implemented their own Push interpreters,
in a variety of languages. The one I'm most familiar with is the one Chris
Perry has been working on here at Hampshire, in C, which Jon Klein has also
made into a plugin for his BREVE simulation environment
(www.spiderland.org/breve) -- this stuff will be polished for distribution
and announced here at some point. I know that a couple of people have also
written Push interpreters in Java and this leads to this query: Has anyone
looked into using a Java Push interpreter in conjunction with Sean Luke's
ECJ evolutionary computation system
(<http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/ec/ecj/>http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/ec/ecj/)?
It seems to me that this could be a particularly potent and
easy-to-piece-together combination. Sean and I are collaborators and I'm
sure he'd be open to helping with the integration if somebody is interested
in doing this...

 -Lee
--
Lee Spector
Dean, School of Cognitive Science
Associate Professor of Computer Science    lspector at hampshire.edu
Cognitive Science, Hampshire College       http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Amherst, MA 01002                          413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438