New Leaf CS Lunch talk by Tim Zimmerman on environmental education

Tim Zimmerman tzimmerman at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 8 21:11:30 EST 2018

Hi folks,

Please pass along this information (below and attached) about a talk I
will be giving on Feb 14th at Hampshire College.

Thanks,
- Tim

========================

CS Wednesday Lunch Talk

February 14th in the Hampshire College Adele Simmons Hall (ASH)
Auditorium at Noon (a light lunch will be served)

Please join us for this talk, given by a candidate for the Jonathan Lash
Endowed Chair of Environmental Education. We will start promptly at
noon, so please come early to serve yourself lunch.

Dr. Timothy Zimmerman, Visiting Assistant Professor of Cognition and
Education at Hampshire College

Using environmental education design research to tackle environmental
problems

When it comes to the environment, we mostly hear about the degradation
of our natural world. Rarely do we hear the hopeful narratives coming
from environmental education: people increasingly understand
environmental problems, believe action should be taken, and adopt
pro-environmental behaviors. My research adds to those successes through
innovative educational design approaches. In this talk, I present my
interdisciplinary environmental education design research trajectory,
which leverages educational psychology, cognitive science, the learning
sciences, and natural sciences to shift the way people think about, act
on, and solve environmental problems. I briefly discuss my prior
research on the effectiveness of different educational designs for
decision-making about environmental problems. Next, I connect that work
to my current research on “citizen science” as an environmental
education learning tool. My research team created the Pioneer Valley
Citizen Science Collaboratory (PVCS) that teaches citizens about local
real-world environmental problems through data collection activities.
Unlike most citizen science projects where non-scientists merely collect
and submit data, PVCS foregrounds environmental education and
backgrounds data collection by incorporating effective, research-based
learning scaffolds and involving local community partners. Using PVCS as
an example, I demonstrate how I integrate my research into my teaching
to create real-world learning opportunities for undergraduate students.
Finally, I end by presenting my vision for making Hampshire College a
leader in environmental education. This includes an innovative
undergraduate educational design for teaching environmental education.
My design provides integrated theory-to-practice-to-theory experiences
that go beyond, and challenge, the traditional model of environmental
educator preparation. I argue this will result in a new generation of
change-agents within environmental education who can push beyond
traditional boundaries and achieve even greater successes in fostering
knowledge of, and abilities to act upon, environmental problems.