New Leaf Talk of interest Thurs, 2/8 at 3:30p

Tim Zimmerman tzimmerman at hampshire.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:25:04 EST 2018

details:

*CS Talk Thursday, /_February 8th in the ASH Auditorium at 3:30_/*

Please join us for this talk, given by a candidate for the Jonathan Lash
Endowed Chair of Environmental Education.

Dr. Aaron Strong, Assistant Professor of Marine Policy at the University
of Maine

Environmental learning and environmental behavior in the Anthropocene:
Advancing sustainability practice through community-engagement and
decision-support tools

As the effects of climate change become manifest, the decisions being
made now – by organizations, by governments and by individuals – about
how we attribute and assess climate risk and climate responsibility and
about how we develop, frame and teach sustainability curricula, have
enormous implications for whether proposed solutions will ultimately
advance sustainability and climate justice or impede it. Here, I present
two qualitative empirical studies which examine the factors that create
successful linkages between experience, learning and pro-environmental
behaviors. Within these two studies,  and in all of my work, I seek to
become a part of the solution-space to the challenges of global
environmental change through participatory action research that
normatively seeks to advance sustainability through the uptake of
pro-environmental behaviors across decision-making scales. First, the
last decade has witnessed a large-scale proliferation of the use of
decision support tools, billed as ‘boundary-spanning’ objects that can
help decision-makers, individuals, communities, or policy-makers
visualize and trust information about the changing environment and
evaluate trade-offs in decision-making. Decision-support tools, such as
interactive climate risk maps and carbon footprint calculators, are
frequently being coupled with participatory structured decision-making
processes to enhance the credibility and legitimacy of sustainability
decisions. Here, through a series of two cases, I present qualitative
data that I use to examine the factors that lead conservation
organizations, community-organizers, and individual resource users to
adopt the use these tools. I also explore the barriers and equity issues
that arise in the deployment of these processes with the goal of
informing participatory sustainability practice. Second, I present
evidence for the effects of community-engaged learning in shaping
student internal narratives about how environmental scientific
information can support sustainability practices in community- and
place-based environmental contexts, and discuss ideas for scaling up
these insights through the development of a novel and broad
sustainability leadership curriculum in higher education. Collectively,
these studies are designed to provide insights into how our rapidly
developing sustainability practices in education and community
engagement can be improved to continue to advance sustainability and
justice in the Anthropocene.

--
Timothy D. Zimmerman
Visiting Assistant Professor of Cognition and Education
e - tzimmerman at hampshire.edu