New Leaf Hampshire course with openings - Spring 2018

Tim Zimmerman tzimmerman at hampshire.edu
Thu Nov 9 21:21:05 EST 2017

Hi NewLeaf folks,

Sorry for cross postings.

I'm hoping you can pass this along to your peers at the other
institutions, esp. if you know of listservs of people who might be
interested. Thanks!
- Tim

I'm teaching a course called "Critical pedagogy of place: A tool for
environmental action and social change" (CS-0257-1) this coming Spring.
The course originally had an "instructor permission" requirement to
register but that has been removed.

If you, or someone you know here at Hampshire or at any of the other 4
institutions, might be interested, there is room in the course. Here's
the course description:

Critical pedagogy of place: A tool for environmental action and social
change: Critical pedagogy of place: a tool for environmental action and
social change. In this advanced course on environmental education, we
will read seminal works on notions of place (Thoreau; Leopold), critical
pedagogy (Freire), place-based (Sobel), critical theory (hooks), queer
ecology (Mortimer-Sandilands), and ecophilosophy. We will also read
modern thinkers such as Gruenwald/Greenwood, Berry, Gough, and
non-white, indigenous and gender diverse scholars LaDuke, Taylor,
Hoffner and others. We will spend time in "places" (possibly including a
field trip, or two) to investigate our own notions and perceptions
thereof to connect the theory and practice. Students in this class will
also participate in a whole-class, semester-long activity. Journaling,
class discussion, class project participation, and writing a final paper
will serve as forms of evaluation for this class. Prerequisite detail:
CS 0194 Env. Ed.: Foundations and Inquiries (preferred). If the student
has not take CS 0194, they must have taken an education course and a
course on Critical Pedagogy or Critical Theory or receive Permission of
the Instructor.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me.

Feel free to forward this to others.

Cheers,
- Tim

--
Timothy D. Zimmerman
Visiting Assistant Professor of Cognition and Education
e - tzimmerman at hampshire.edu