New Leaf Fwd: [ClimateChange] climate change news, and panel tomorrow, June 3, 9:30am FPH WLH

Sara Brown saragerbrown at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 11:02:37 EDT 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Sarah Partan* <partan at hampshire.edu>
Date: Friday, June 2, 2017
Subject: [ClimateChange] climate change news, and panel tomorrow, June 3,
9:30am FPH WLH
To: climatechange at lists.hampshire.edu
Cc: Jonathan Lash <jlash at hampshire.edu>

Hello All,

In the wake of yesterday's devastating news that Trump will pull us out of
the Paris Climate Accord, please join Hampshire's Alums, President, and
faculty in a panel to discuss climate justice tomorrow morning during Div
IV.  Details below.

Given the news I thought you might also appreciate this opinion piece from
CNN: "Trump's stupidity on climate change will galvanize
environmentalists"  http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/02/
opinions/trump-has-alienated-the-us-lynas-opinion/

Ideas for galvanizing action yourself: if the Federal government has failed
the fight, get the States to act. Call your Governor. Join a local climate
action group over the summer wherever you are and try to get local
legislators to impose state limits on greenhouse gases or to enact a carbon
tax or to switch their state to renewable energy, etc. And if you are in
the Amherst area come to the panel discussion tomorrow!  Details:

---
*Div IV Panel:*
Saturday June 3
Climate Justice Solutions in an Era of Deregulation
Franklin Patterson Hall, West Lecture Hall
9:30–10:30 a.m.

What can be done to address climate change in the U.S. when the EPA is
under attack? What role will the courts play in climate change? How can
educational efforts yield an informed public who can hold our leaders
accountable for injustices? Join us for a panel discussion of climate
justice solutions in an era of environmental deregulation. President Trump
has a mission to dismantle the EPA, and has persistently targeted minority
groups with his policies. In this panel, we will attempt to answer what can
be done to protect indigenous peoples, people of color, and poor
communities who are disproportionately impacted by climate change.

Catherine Craig 08F (moderator), carbon neutral coordinator, Etsy
Melissa Hoffer 84F, chief of the Energy and Environment Bureau in the
Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office
Jonathan Lash, president
Tim Zimmerman,visiting assistant professor of cognition and education
---

Hope to see you there!  Best, Sarah

--
Sarah Partan, Ph.D.