New Leaf minutes 11/11

Dylan Welch dew13 at hampshire.edu
Sun Nov 15 21:40:05 EST 2015

Raw minutes from last tuesday... Newletter = actualized!!

Sustainability mixer committee meeting tomorrow morning at 1130am in the
RRH

Attendees: Keon, Dylan, Dana, Miranda (EFG club), Shelby, Kali, Sara,
Julia, Ned

Welcome Guests!

Quick Check-in: new n' goods

 Themes: making new connections, admin support on Donut 3 proj,
sustainability symposium, EFG back on the map, are our practices as
sustainable as we think they are?,

Agenda

	*

EFG: intro and extent of collaboration with NL

	*

Compost education: How-to?
	*

Membership accountability: Actualize!

	*

Discuss delegation of roles and structures

	*

Debrief Sustainability symposium
	*

Listserv
	*

Sustainability center update
	*

Repurpose rideshare bulletin
	*

Create timeline until December 11th

Keep an eye out for regular meeting time for Forest Garden meeting

Summary of Forest Garden:

	*

Doing lots of different things: there's a list of things building up
over years of things we don't have the power to do.
	*

Also, figuring out how a natural/forest type garden grows- loose
maintenance of a garden.
	*

How do we make the garden ecosystemic, but also visually pleasing?
	*

Ecosystem mimicry approach- herbs underneath persimmon plant help the
persimmon grow
	*

Everything is harvestable/edible/useful for people. Meeting human needs
while restoring the ecosystem/etc.
	*

Not officially a student group OFFICIALLY, but defs a group of students.

	*

Idea: humans can be keystone species, as opposed to leave no
trace/guilty human paradigm
	*

Implement low maintenance and healthy living spaces

Compost Education

	*

Making people understand how cool and useful it is
	*

Meeting?
	*

Putting up things in places?
	*

Bon Appetit approves and will provide support
	*

What does educating students about compost mean?
	*

Signs
	*

Sign idea: in the Bridge, putting up signs showing what things can be
thrown out and what can be recycled
	*

Visual education, paired with starting conversations
	*

Farmer talks: possibly the first chapter of something that continues;
maybe a series of compost/sustainability lectures! Use the habit of the
farm people to do the same thing at the same time
	*

Also, call for front-of-house composting in the Bridge
	*

Trash mobile idea?
	*

Hacking computer screens, giving info about composting
	*

Bottle art installation on old bus stop: partner with GAB to do
something similar?
	*

Doing it on the same day as the mixer
	*

Magicboard/televisions around campus

Planning sustainability group mixer:Kali, Miranda, Julia, Smith ppl

Listserv: Keon and Dana

Keeping membership accountable: How do we do it

	*

Send out an update afterwards, with notes and updates?
	*

Newsletter

Sustainability center:

Waiting to hear from assistant dean

Symposium debrief:

Divest from Boston U: How to make your organization relevant

Columbia: Complex environmental issues

A good way to see that we are not alone

How do we get into deeper sustainability issues? Deeper than just
composting and such?

Beginner's guide to sustainable consciousness:

Want to get in touch with Pam Tinto

Triple bottom line: Environmental, social, economic. How is this
represented in diagrams

Clark: How to organize their student group

We should hold an earth week!

It was powerful to see the scope of awareness/engagement and the
struggles that other campuses have

Different amounts of social capital on different campuses

Good example from Clark (and maybe Tufts) U. about how to run our
organization

It would be cool to have a presentation of ideas- reach out to Space
Assessment Committee about sustainability

Make our Wednesday meeting longer? Start at 5:15 and hang out, and GO at
5:30? Or start at 5:30 and GO at 5:45? Have a working meeting and a
talking meeting? Have worktime be an extension of regular meeting and be
more free flow after the regular meeting time

Actualization meeting: meet Friday evening, 4-10? Wednesday seems better

Afterhours on Wednesday: Earthpool Actualization Party

	*

640pm to 730ish pm

--

Dylan Welch (they/them)