[Newleaf] Barn Building Committee: Get Involved with a new student building on Campus!

Rehamping Hampshire rehamping at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:30:44 EDT 2012

Rehamping is emailing your listerve, as we are emailing others, because we
are hoping to hear voices from all across our community in the creation of
this new student building on campus. We want this space to reflect the
needs and values of our entire community, and hope you will consider
getting involved in some aspect of this project!

Thanks, and feel free to email us with any questions!

Rehamping
_____________________

Through community outreach, shared analysis, and purposeful classroom
work, the Barn Project has evolved from a cool idea to a
well-developed plan, and is on track toward the final phases of design
development. The Barn Project needs your help to ensure that this new
space will reflect the needs and values of the entire Hampshire
College community. Get involved, join the Barn Building Committee,
help make a difference!

What is the Barn Project?

For the last year, the barn, currently located on the President’s
property, has been the focus of a community oriented project. The goal
of the project is to bring the barn to campus, where it will become a
new home for Mixed Nuts and a dynamic student space sited next to the
Community Garden. The project has received help and support from
dedicated students, faculty and staff advisers, and the President’s
Office.

This project is an exciting example of what Hampshire students can
accomplish, what a mixture of independent and mentored work can amount
to, and what sets Hampshire College apart from other higher learning
institutions.

What is the Purpose of the Barn Building Committee?

        The Barn Committee will be a group of students, faculty, and staff
that reflects and represents voices from across campus so the design
of the barn best meets the needs and values of the community.

What will the Barn Building Committee do?

        By the end of this semester the students working on the Rehamping
the
Barn Independent Study will complete a preliminary design, from which
a price can be estimated, and with which fundraising can begin. The
Barn Building Committee will meet once a month to respond to the
designs created by the Barn Independent Study to evaluate the choices
being made, and to communicate the needs of their constituent groups
(be it offices, student groups, etc.).

How can you join in?

        Please briefly describe what you bring to the barn committee, and
why
you would like to be a part of the process (send to:
rehamping at gmail.com). We are hoping to have 10-15 folks. We will get
back to you within the week, so send your words in as soon as
possible. We are expecting to meet once a month, for an hour and a
half, at a time when the most faculty, staff & students can be
involved.

If you are unsure of your ability to commit, but would like to be
involved, the independent study holds open meetings on Tuesdays from
3:30-4:30 PM in EDH3 and welcomes any new voices. The Rehamping
student group also meets from 8-9 PM in EDH3 on Wednesdays. Please
check out www.rehamping.tumblr.com (Rehamping’s active blog) or
www.rehampingthebarn.wordpress.com (archive of work from the barn
course last year) for more information about the project.

--
Contact us with any and all questions, and stay in touch with:
Rehamping at gmail.com
Rehamping.tumblr.com
facebook.com/rehamping