[Newleaf] Summer Jobs Available Working on Social Issues

Sarah Mitnick sarah at masspirgstudents.org
Tue May 1 13:15:27 EDT 2012

Hi!

My name is Sarah and I'm a Campaign Director for the Fund for the Public Interest in Amherst. I'm emailing you because you are a student leader at Hampshire and I'm hoping you can help spread the word about summer jobs.

The Fund for the Public Interest is a national non-profit organization that works to build support for progressive organizations. We are hiring smart, passionate, and hard-working people to work on our campaign to increase recycling with MASSPIRG. Later in the summer we'll be working to increase solar power with Environment Massachusetts.

PLEASE FORWARD THE BELOW MESSAGE TO OTHER STUDENTS!

Thanks!
-Sarah

This summer, we’ve got work to do.

America faces some big challenges . Every day, environmental, social justice and consumer problems become more urgent: Even though an overwhelming majority of Americans support protecting our environment, our national parks continue to be threatened by development and budget cuts. Most Americans want consumer protections, but instead we are giving billions of dollars in subsidies to big agriculture to promote fatty and dangerous foods. And the majority of Americans want measures that ensure social justice for everyone; but in the six states and Washington, D.C., who have provided equal marriage rights, LGBT couples are still denied over 1,100 federal rights. Obviously, many of our decision makers are listening to the deep-pocketed industry lobbyists and have lost touch with the average American.

America’s leading advocacy groups are gearing up to meet these challenges. They know to break the gridlock and make real progress they'll need a surge of citizen support and grassroots action. That’s where we come in.

At the Fund for the Public Interest, we’ve been organizing campaigns to protect the environment, stand up for the public interest, and defend human rights for more than 25 years. We’ve helped protect our pristine wilderness areas with Environment America, and working on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign, we helped organize the grassroots opposition needed to repeal the discriminatory “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell."

Work with us and gain valuable skills mobilizing and building citizen support, activating the media around critical issues and running petition drives for important campaigns. This summer, work on important issues, build your resume and earn money while you’re at it.

Earn $4,000-$6,000 this summer. Hourly wage: $9-13/hr.

Learn more at http://www.jobsforgoodcauses.org or give us a call at 413-256-6434. Ask for Laura.

The Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation or veteran status.