[Newleaf] Hampshire Landscaping

Andrew James Mangold ajm09 at hampshire.edu
Tue Jun 7 11:14:44 EDT 2011

Hey everyone,

I'm busy in CT right now so I'm not sure if a trip up this Wednesday will be
possible, but I definitely suggest that the group considers existing
relationships with physical plant and other land/sustainability groups. Ned
Jones has been in touch with Larry and crew about more productive perennials on
campus. They are very willing to support, there are just a lot of considerations
to take into account like long term management, appearance to visitors (I know),
and scale. These conversations are definitely headed in the right direction
though, and the approaching 5-year review of our campus master plan is the
perfect opportunity to get sustainable landscape projects written in.

Wednesday's meeting might be a good time to think about the sort of projects we
want to propose/develop. It may be useful too, to review the Strategic Plan (
https://hampedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_College_Strategic_Plan ) and generate more
comments and ideas for the departments involved with implementation, as well to
find the areas that our work intersects with different goals or initiatives.

Keep in mind that Larry Winship's Sustainable Landscaping class will be taking
on different spaces on campus every Fall to design/manage more sustainably, and
the transition group that is now forming will be perfect to link up with too.

There are a lot of landscape-type projects already underway to think about as
well. The 'outdoor classroom' or 'winter greenhouse' may in fact be done by
now, not sure, and a small perennial nursery is being stocked with useful
plants (chestnut, ect) to grow around campus once they mature.

If I don't see you, enjoy & good luck.
I'm glad to see that there is still a lot of excitement. My biggest comment is
simply to integrate existing, complementary work like I mentioned above and
anything that I've missed. I think that the strategic plan plus our new
president, Jonathan Lash, provide great opportunities for our projects to
succeed, which will in turn generate a lot of support from outside.

Andrew