[Newleaf] some bottled water notes for tonight's meeting

Roger Guzowski rguzowski at fivecolleges.edu
Mon Nov 22 11:11:37 EST 2010

Hi all,

Am hoping that the attached notes can help to focus the discussion about bottled water and bans.

FYI:  I know there has been some discussion about bans at UMASS.  Just as clarification, all UMASS has done is what Smith did a couple years ago.  They no longer provide a free bottled water with to-go meals.  There may be some transferability to Hampshire's bagged lunch program, but I would recommend being very careful about overstating the transferability of that UMASS success to Hampshire.  That's not to take away from what Smith or UMASS have done because I think both actions are significant for those campuses.  I just don't want to see that misinterpreted as a larger scale banning of bottled water on campus or a suggestion that their success can be easily copied at Hampshire.

Hope this helps.

Roger Guzowski
Five College Recycling Manager
cell:  413-658-5558