[NERDug-list] Colleague AIX/UniData Backup Question

Jeffrey Butera jbutera at hampshire.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:34:21 EDT 2015

Hi Andrew

The best way to manage this is using files system snapshots in that it results in the shortest downtime.  We do the following:

1. dbpause and wait 2 second to allow unidata transactions in flight to complete.

2. Take snapshot of filesystem using O/S tools. Takes about 2 seconds.

3. Issue dbresume to resume unidata. Total downtime is under 5 seconds.

4. Perform backup from snapshot.

5. Trash snapshot.

Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services
Information Technology
Hampshire College
413-559-5556