[NERDug-list] Colleague AIX/UniData Backup Question

Andrew Crawford abcrawford at berklee.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:51:17 EDT 2015

Hi there,

Here at Berklee we're running AIX version 7.1.0.0 and UniData v7.2.12 as
the back-end for our Ellucian Colleague environment. We'd like to better
understand what other schools with the same configuration are doing
relative to backup/recovery.

Currently, we're pausing the database on a nightly basis and making a copy
(rsync) while UniData is paused, which takes about 3 hours. It would be
helpful to understand how other schools, with the same infrastructure
back-end, are conducting their backups and the strategies being used to
reduce Colleague downtime to a target of 10 seconds.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Crawford
Director for Systems Architecture and Management
Berklee College of Music
Boston, MA
Office - (617) 747-6295
Cell - (617) 480-1221