[Jewish] International Symposium for Contemplative Studies

Ana Nazir ann13 at hampshire.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:34:11 EDT 2014

Hello friends,

STUDENTS EXPLORING CONTEMPLATIVE PRACTICES AND SOCIAL CHANGE is
organizing a trip to Boston on October 30-November 2, 2014 to attend the
International Symposium for Contemplative Studies. We are trying to get
an idea of how many people would potentially want to/are able to attend
in order to obtain some funding! The group will potentially cover all
costs (registration and hotel fees) associated with the trip if the
funding request is approved.

 Here is a short excerpt about the Symposium:

"The International Symposium for Contemplative Studies brings together
leading academics and other interested attendees for presentation,
discussion, and collaborative networking in the fields of neuroscience,
psychology, clinical science, philosophy, humanities, and education as
they relate to investigations of contemplative practice. It will take
place October 30-November 2, 2014 at the Marriott Copley Hotel in
Boston, Massachusetts. This gathering is convened by the Mind & Life
Institute and will be the second biennial symposium. The
interdisciplinary meeting will examine new ideas in overlapping fields
of contemplative study with the goal of advancing our understanding of
the human mind, and how mental training through contemplative practices
can lead to reduced suffering, enhanced health and cognitive-emotional
functioning, greater happiness, and increased social harmony."

You can visit their website at http://www.iscs2014.org [1] to see a list
of speakers/topics.

We are at the very beginning of our planning process but committing to
participating means that you will complete a short application that will
be sent out in the coming weeks and commit to staying the whole weekend.
Registration for the symposium is currently $365, in addition to any
hotel fees. If you live or know anyone who lives in the Boston area that
can provide a place to stay, please let us know as it will help us to
better cover the costs. Obtaining funding can be quite difficult,
however, we would love it if everyone who wanted to attend could do so.

If you are interested in attending or have any questions, please reply
to this e-mail by MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH AT 6PM.

Peace,

Ana

Links:
------