[Jewish] Learn abt Bees for RH // TASHLICH WOODS WALK TODAY! MLR, 1 PM // Light Shabbat tonight

Jacob Ehrlich jbe11 at hampshire.edu
Fri Sep 26 09:46:04 EDT 2014

Shanah tovah, chevre!
Happy New Year!

I hope that this process of welcoming this sweet New Year (5775!) has
allowed for some relaxation, reflection and self-inquiry. & thank you
for all who came out to our Seder (I think it was a great success) and
Services over the past two days; hopefully those have only helped this
mindset of mindfulness... Continuing along with these High Holy Day
themes, we will be performing TASHLICH today at 1 PM.

TASHLICH is a traditional ritual that involves symbolically casting away
the sins and baggage of the past year. Our observance of it will involve
a contemplative walk through the Hampshire woods, some ritual, some
singing, & some learning. Light lunch (sandwiches) will be provided.

To preface our walk to the woods, Seann Stoner of the Hampshire Honeybee
Collective will be speaking a bit about bees, honey and pollinators in
honor of Rosh Hashanah (probably the most honey-centric of holidays) &
the Shmita (sabbatical year). Don't miss it!

~~~~~~~

also just some upcoming events that you may want on yr calendars:

--- SUNDAY @ 1:30 PM: the Jewish Community of Amherst will be leading a
singing practice (with the amazing cantor Diana Brewer!) to teach music
for Neilah, the final service of Yom Kippur. The intention here is to
practice so that the service is beautiful, transformative, & resonant
for all who go. Any students (not just Jews!) are welcome. Rabbi Ellen
will have 3 spaces available in her car -- coordinate w/ her via
ebSA at hampshire.edu.

--- SUNDAY @ 6 PM: Double Edge Theatre a wild "Outdoor Presentation" of
some of their work! This is an amazing local theatre company that some
of my friends have been involved with. They are truly incredible -- more
info here:
https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/colloquia/copeland_colloquium/event-calendar/node/564418

~~~~

WE WILL BE HAVING A LIGHT SHABBAT CELEBRATION TONIGHT, STARTING AT 5:30
IN THE MERRILL LIVING ROOM.

because lots of folks are feeling (over)saturated with their Jewish
involvement due to High Holy Day stuff, we figure we'll keep things a
bit more low-key than usual. If you want to come chill, please do! We'll
be doing some songs, having some food, but it'll have a lot less
formalized of a vibe than usual (not that it's ever very formal...).

This week's Shabbat is a special one, called "Shabbat Shuvah," the
Sabbath of Returning. May we use this special day to return to who we
are in a deep way, to return to good health and habits, and to return to
lives of sensitivity, meaning and compassion!

with love & gratitude,
Jake