[Jewish] Shabbas is ON this Fri pm with Meditation/ Queer Conference/ Invitation to Lunch

Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld rschoenfeld at hampshire.edu
Thu Jan 10 12:51:20 EST 2013

_*This Shabba**t*
_Join us on Friday for Jewish meditation at 5:30, followed by a yummy
homemade Shabbat dinner.  In the Merrill living room.  Take a break from
life's craziness with meditation and good food.  All are welcome!

*_Jewish Queer Conference_*
ALIZ is organizing a Hampshire delegation to go to the Neharim
(Jewish/Queer) Conference on *March 1st*, at Boston University.  Please
e-mail me or ALIZ  asap for more info!
_

*You're Invited to Lunch*_

Michael Katz, C.V. Starr Professor Emeritus of Russian and East Eur.
Studies, and Rabbi Ira Schiffer, Associate Chaplain/Rabbi at Middlebury
College will be
bringing their January Term Class to the Yiddish Book Center on
*Thursday, January 17, at 1pm*. We’ve invited them to lunch in SAGA and
hope you will join us for an opportunity
to meet and eat with this group of 28 students and 2 instructors.

The students are from diverse religious, ethnic and national
backgrounds, and are majoring in departments ranging from economics,
political science, history, literature, and international studies, to
neuroscience. This is an opportunity for meeting students from another
small, New England liberal arts college.

This is a casual, non-academic lunch! Please let me know if you’re able
to join me.

Their class is: Jews and the Russian Empire in Crisis Course Description
S. An-sky (1863-1920) was a Russian-Jewish writer, ethnographer, and
social activist. A prolific author, he wrote in two languages in every
imaginable genre: articles, novels, plays, and songs. His best known
work, The Dybbuk, immortalizes the legendary figure of a dead soul that
takes possession of a living body to right an injustice suffered during
its lifetime. We will study An-sky’s collected “works”: his memoirs,
fiction (short stories and novel, The Pioneers), play, photographs,
artifacts, and folk music. Our goal is a greater understanding of the
cultural borderland between the two worlds, Russian and Jewish, which
An-sky inhabited and portrayed at a time of crisis.

-- Rabbi Rachel D'vash Schoenfeld, Coordinator for Religious Identities
and Political Intersections, Spiritual Life, Hampshire College,
413-559-5282