[Jewish] Fwd: Jewish Labor Movement course at UMass Sp 13

rrHACU at hampshire.edu rrHACU at hampshire.edu
Mon Nov 26 10:19:46 EST 2012

A course of interest! Please forward to any you think may be interested.

Jackie Southern has a BA in sociology from Bryn Mawr, Ph.D. in
geography from Clark, so she teaches very interdisciplinary courses. I
think any students with an interest in history, New York, the
geography of labor, and sociology
would find the course interesting, as well as those with a Judaic
studies interest. Jackie is also very interested in questions of labor
and culture. She's going to be looking especially at labor, unions and
visual culture this spring.

The course description is below, and I've attached a flyer as well. I
think it's a good course. Jackie will be giving a Posen lecture at the
end of the semester, on the visual culture of the Jewish labor movement,
and I hope you can come to that.

THE JEWISH LABOR MOVEMENT IN AMERICA Judaic Studies 392M

A comparative and historical study of the role of Jews and Jewish
secularism in the labor movement in the United States, drawing on labor
history, primary sources, fiction, sweatshop poetry, and film.

The Jewish garment unions were the first real industrial unions in this
country. Led by progressives and radicals and organized by immigrant
Jewish workers and communities, they had lasting impacts on the rights
won by workers, women, minorities, and immigrants. Those unions, and
progressive Jewish leaders and activists within the larger labor
movement, continue to work for workers' and civil and human rights
today.

We will read labor history and a wide variety of primary sources written
by radical intellectuals and organizers, sweatshop poetry, and fiction.
We also will view Yiddish and documentary films.

Course can be taken for graduate credit by arrangement with instructor.

For more information, email jsouthern at judnea.umass.edu