[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] A (revised) Poetic Commentary on Parshat Balak

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 03:23:18 EDT 2010

This week's parasha/portion is Balak (Be'midbar/Numbers 22:2-25:9). In
this narrative, Balak king of Midian, hires the magician Bilaam to
curse the Israelites. However, no matter how hard he might try, he may
only utter words of praise provided him by God.On his way to Balak,
Bilaam encounters a fiery angel on the path. However, Bilaam does not
see the angel. Only his donkey, who stops in his tracks and refuses to
move, sees it. Finally, after Bilaam begins to beat the donkey in order
to get him to move, the donkey miraculously begins to speak. To
paraphrase, he says "you've known me all these years! Doesn't the fact
that I stopped dead in my tracks tell you that something is wrong? Open
your eyes!"In reading this section, the old adage "never assume" came
to mind. And so, this midrashic poem on the parashah. I did publish
this poem last year on the blog. However, I have edited and refined it
further and so I wanted to share it with you one more time.
Shabbat Shalom,Steven
never assume
never assume for when you assume you know the rest
never assume that you know what is that you know the truth before
experiencing it
never assume for when you do you blind yourself to truth unable to see
what is before you within you around you hidden unassuming waiting for
you to open your heart your soul to be present to what is in this
moment
the truth isyou think you know what you see is truth
when told it is not there is more to see you do not listen with the
heart you do not see with the soul you rely on only five senses in
reality you rely on the ego fearing the truth needing to be always
rightand so you try to to move on to take the next step on the
journeybut you cannot
what stops you is the present the truth you cannnot see crying out to
be known without that you will never move you are stuck not in present
or past simply stuck unable to step into the futureand make it present
why can't you see the angel the presence the present the truth in the
moment
why do you push beat force yourself and others to move on past the
present avoiding the truth again and again
stop open your heart see feel know the moment the truth the angel
divine presence whether you experience it as beautiful or not
comforting or frightening pleasant or painful all of theseit does not
matter for it is the moment the divine reality the truth all there is
open your heart your soul to the all-in-the-moment do not assume to
understand what you think you see until you open yourself to the truth
within
do not assume whether good bad or both that it will remain beyond this
moment nothing does
do not assume anything
just be open live fully in the moment acknowledging its truth then you
will find within infinite blessings for all and that is enough

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 6/26/2010 03:23:00 AM