[Jewish] [Mindful Torah] Poetic Commentary on Parshat Korakh

Rabbi Steven Nathan mindfultorah at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 00:42:09 EDT 2010

This week’s parashah/portion is Korakh (Numbers/Be’midbar 16:1-18:32).
The parashah contains within it the revolt against Moses’s leadership
led by his cousin Korakh, along with Datan and Abiram. These three, and
their followers, challenge Moses and Aaron claiming that everyone is
holy. Unfortunately, their revolt was led by ego and hubris rather than
by any belief in egalitarianism, and so the earth swallowed as a
punishment.
On the following day, Moses is told to take a staff from the leaders of
all the tribes, with Aaron representing the tribe of Levi, and to place
them in the ground inside the Mishkan/Tabernacle. On the next day they
return and Aaron’s staff that has sprouted blossoms and almonds to
symbolize his and his descendants chosen stature as High Priest.
These images form the basis of this poetic commentary on the parashah.
blossoming from darkness to light

I am herein darkness why what have I done
I hear voices screaming pleading seeing only darkness impenetrable
I am in the ground swallowed whole I am not dead or perhaps I am
why did I do it why didn't I run why was I afraid of them they were so
persuasive all are holy we are holy who is Aaron who is Moses we are
all priests all can serve God
Yes we are all holy yet all have different tasks all can see God each
in their own way
I didn't want to be high priest above others over the community
I don’t know what I wanted and soI heard their voices becoming my voice
proclaiming we are holy you have too much we have not enough
you shall see they said
now I can see only darkness
I saw firepans smelled incense seared burning I knew what was happening
what might happen
I had seen God’s power before moments of glory moments of terror
deliverance at the sea plague and death in the desert
I knew the possibilities yetI ignored my heartI did not pay attention
to its words my words
I heard only his words their words Korakh Dathan Abiram I became them
they were in me they became my unconscious conscience voice of unreason
smoldering incense transformed becoming burning earth opening up
swallowing us filling my mouth ears nose soul with dark smoke oblivion
now I am here forever beneath the surface while above I do not know
what exists what is real
remaining still listening waiting an eternity
I try reaching out up my hand moves slightly suddenly breaking through
the earth shattering the shell encasing me freeing me from living death
I feel air on my hand body remaining underground submerged my soul my
heart remaining shrouded in darkness uncertainty again I reach out I
grasp something it pulls me up from the earth the darkness pulls me
down wanting me to remain caught torn in between eternal liminality
where do I belong under here up there with them with others I simply do
not know
suddenly I feelthe force pulling upward powerful unstoppable leading me
to my unknown destiny
I emerge dirt falling off my clothing the light the sun the shimmering
fire and cloud Divinity
blinding me still
unable to see I hear a voice calling out a name Aaron is that me I am
bewildered then I remember that is he the one pulling me up from the
ground telling me that I have been saved I have a mission
dazed and puzzledI look around me I see the people my peoplesurrounding
staring frightened wonderingwhy did I survive
in that moment I know I must show them we are all one the people I am
not alone special holy chosen we all are special holy chosen
then I notice I feel what saved me what I had grasped before my destiny
still in my hands shielding my eyes from burning light I begin to feel
the warmth of the Divine in my heart and soul I look in my hand I see a
staff blossoming I smell sweetness of almond blossoms awakening telling
me who I am what I must do how I must show those remaining the truth we
are One we are holy I have been saved to help them to help me to see to
know the truth the others could not that is why they are underground
devoured by their gods that had blinded them to the truth ego hubris
pride greed jealousy
I am here where I belong not knowing why I was chosen to do my part
open my heart to God to holiness for all to see we shall all join
together opening our hearts as One creating moment by moment soul by
soul holy community holy life blossoming for God exquisitely delicate
divine humanity human divinity so all will see all will know the truth
the beauty of the One of all

--
Posted By Rabbi Steven Nathan to Mindful Torah at 6/11/2010 12:42:00 AM