[Jewish] Weekly Jewish Spiritual Life lunches, plus mediation, chant and drumming begin this week with Rabbi Steve

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Tue Sep 22 20:43:09 EDT 2009

Just a reminder that every week there are two weekly Jewish life
lunches.  Both of these will be from 12-1 in Saga (in the front dining
room near the far wall - hopefully).  If you are not on the meal plan,
just let Roberta know that you're there for lunch with me and she'll
sign you in so you don't have to pay.

Wednesdays at noon is Lunch and Shmooze (and Learn) with me. We'll do
just what it says.  We'll eat, shmooze and do a little informal learning
together.

Thursdays at noon is the Hebrew Lunch Table.  This is an opportunity to
speak Hebrew over lunch.  This is for all levels, as we're very good at
helping everyone to understand what's going on.

Also tomorrow (Wednesday) our first Jewish Meditation, Chant and
Drumming will take place from 4:15 - 5:00 in the Spiritual Life Center
(top of Donut 5 in Greenwich.  Use the Door with the ramp that faces
donut 4).  NO knowledge of meditation, Judaism, Hebrew or chanting is
necessary!  You don't need to be Jewish either.  It's open to all.
If you are a drummer please feel free to bring a drum with you.

I hope to see you there!

Also, just a reminder that the "Judaism Outside the Box" discussions
with dessert, etc. will  begin on Tuesday Sept. 29.  They will be from
7-8pm in the Merrill Living Room.  If you have any "out of the box"
topics that you'd like to discuss please e-mail me.  Any topic is possible!

Wishing you all a Shana tova u'metukah - a Happy and Sweet New Year!

SPN

PS  Also, put on your calendar:

SUKKAH DECORATING - Thursday Oct. 1 @ 4:30 in the Hampshire Sukkah (on
the Merrill/Dakin Quad near the door to the Spiritual LIfe Office,
underneath the housing office)

SUKKOT/SHABBAT SERVICES - Friday Oct 2 @ 5:30
SUKKOT/SHABBAT DINNER - Friday Oct. 2 @ 6:30
Both will be held in the Sukkah on the Merrill Quad (and in the Merrill
Living Room if raining)

SUSHI IN THE SUKKAH Wednesday Oct. 7 5-6:30 in the Sukkah, of course.
Rain Location: Merrill Living Room
--

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Hampshire
College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. /

/ /

/"It also became clear to me that in regard to cruelties committed in
the name of a free society, some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/ /

-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel