[Jewish] QIPOC mini Film Festival this Weekend

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Tue Mar 24 15:51:44 EDT 2009

*QIPOC, the student group for queer identified students of color and
queer international students at Hampshire College, *has organized a/
*Mini-QIPOC Film Festiva*l /featuring two nationally (and
internationally) acclaimed lesbian films by two noted African American
lesbian filmmakers. There will also be two QIPOC shorts at the start of
each feature film made by Hampshire students.

The features will include */Underneath/*/, /by Katrina Deaton and
*/black./womyn:conversations/ /with lesbians of African decent/* by
Tiona M. /Underneath/ tells the story of a young woman and her path of
self-discovery which is plagued by her struggles to find peace in
staying true to herself and the acceptance of others. The second film
/black./womyn:conversations/ /with lesbians of African decent/, is one
of the only full length documentaries on the film festival circuit which
examines black lesbians through their own voices and realities.

QIPOC would like to personally invite you and those in your respective
student groups to this *FREE five college wide event going this FRIDAY
and SATURDAY*. We would like to see this as an opportunity to reach out
to the small POC (peoples of color) and queer community within the Five
Colleges.

*/Underneath/ will be screening this Friday March 27, 2009 at 5pm in
Franklin Paterson Hall in the Main Lecture Hall on Hampshire's campus.
/black wymen /will be screening in the same location at 2pm on Saturday
March 28, 2009.* After the screening of Black Wymen there will be a Q&A
and discussion with director Tiona M. This event is once again FREE and
open to everyone so, please feel free to bring your friends and be sure
to spread the word to your respective student groups.

Thank you so much for your attention and interest. *Please contact me,
Amelia Carter (ameliacarter at yahoo.com), if you would like any further
information. *You can also find links for the film trailers below.

/Underneath/ by Katrina Deaton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qx173RN0lY

/black./womyn:conversations/ /with lesbians of African decent/ BY Tiona
M.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgEiVd1bKpI&feature=related
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgEiVd1bKpI&feature=related>

See you there!

Thanks again,

Amelia

QIPOC

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/