[Jewish] From Jaime Davilla: Israel and Palestine dialogue postponed until after Spring Break. (and more people needed)

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Mar 5 14:32:49 EST 2009

this message is from Jaime and he asked me to forward it along.  Also,
he's still looking for more people to participate.  If you are
interested, please contact him directly at jdavilla at hampshire.edu.

Shalom/Salaam,
spn

Greetings,

Due to scheduling conflicts, the dialogs regarding Israel and
Palestine have been rescheduled until the week after Spring Break. I
encourage everyone to consider participating, and letting me know about
your interest.

The new set of dates are:

Thursday March 26 6:30- 9:30 PM
Saturday March 28 11:00 AM- 5 PM
Tuesday March 31 6:30- 9:30 PM

Below I include the original announcement about this activity.

Best,

Jaime

As many of you might have heard, the Office for Diversity and
Multicultural Education is organizing a series of student conversations
around the topic of Israel and Palestine. I am now reaching out to each
of you because you have either participated in previous conversations,
or colleagues at Hampshire have mentioned you as someone that might be
interested in continuing these conversations.

Conversations would be facilitated by outside experts. We are in contact
with The Karuna Center, a group with experience with intergroup
dialogues of this type. These conversations would not follow a debate or
discussion format. Their intention is to bring us together to build
community through our commonalities and differences.

The dialogues can accommodate between 15-25 students, who would need to
agree to participate on four 3-hour evening sessions, with meals
provided by Hampshire (good food, I promise!).

What I would need from each of you is for you to consider this
opportunity, and let me know as soon as you can if you would want to
participate.

Thanks a lot for your attention so far, I hope we get to collaborate in
this program now and many other opportunities in the near future.

Best,

Jaime

Jaime J. Dávila
Special Presidential Assistant for Diversity
and Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
jdavila at hampshire dot edu
http://helios.hampshire.edu/jdavila

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/