[Jewish] Summer Program Announcement: Jewish Lithuania program in Vilnius

Steven Nathan snathan at hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 12 11:10:02 EST 2009

Summer Literary Seminars (SLS) is an independent literary and cultural
program, one of the world's largest and most dynamic, held each year in
St. Petersburg, Russia, and Nairobi, Kenya, among other locales. (Here
is the URL: www.sumlitsem.org <http://www.sumlitsem.org/>.)

We are proud and delighted to be able to announce that our newest
program, to be held in the capital city of Lithuania, Vilnius (Vilna)
this summer (from 19 July to 2 August 2009), will be featuring a unique
self-contained option: the Jewish Lithuania Program (for details please
see: http://sumlitsem.org/lithuania/jewishlithuania.html).

Although including many facets of the rich Litvak heritage, there will
naturally be emphasis on Yiddish language, literature, and folklore, and
the literature, culture and history of the Eastern-European Jewish
diaspora. In addition to the seminars and lectures offered by the
program's director, Professor Dovid Katz (www.dovidkatz.net
<http://www.dovidkatz.net/>), of the Vilnius Yiddish Institute, Vilnius
University -- there will be a rich and variegated program of guest
presentations, assembled and moderated by Prof. Katz (details at:
http://sumlitsem.org/lithuania/jlguests.html).

The program is conducted in English, but in the event of Yiddish
speakers and writers enrolling, Prof. Katz will be adding workshops and
seminars conducted entirely in Yiddish. In all, it will be a genuinely
exciting, truly one-of-a-kind annual event.

The program is open open to all -- writers and non-writers alike.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you have any questions
about this or any of our programs. SLS would be very glad to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,

--
Mikhail Iossel
Associate Professor of English

Founder and Director
Summer Literary Seminars
www.sumlitsem.org <http://www.sumlitsem.org>

--

Steven P. Nathan

Campus Rabbi

Interim LGBTQ Advisor

Hampshire College

Office of Spiritual Life -- Box SA

Amherst, MA 01002

Phone: (413) 559-5282

Fax: (413) 559-5663

snathan at hampshire.edu <mailto:snathan at hampshire.edu>

/"The more deeply immersed I became in the thinking of the prophets, the
more powerfully it became clear to me what the lives of the prophets
sought to convey: that morally speaking there is no limit to the concern
one must feel for the suffering of human beings. It also became clear to
me that in regard to cruelties committed in the name of a free society,
some are guilty, all are responsible."/

/-Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel/